Question about charging macbook pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gc15, Mar 26, 2013.

1. gc15 macrumors regular

I dont have a problem with my battery, but I'm wanting to get in good practice of doing things that will keep my battery in good health and keeping my laptop's life cycle long. Like im reading online saying its ok to leave it charged in all the time as long as you use the battery every so often and let it get below 50% and then put it back on charge. I havent exactly been doing that, i never leave it charging all the time and will usually put it on charge at around 10 to 20%, is that bad? I do know to let it drain completely about every month.

So im just wondering whats the best thing i can do to keep my battery healthy, when should i charge it? This is my first mac so im just wondering, i will admit i did have a problem with the battery draining really quick when i first got it, but i figured out the problem. Apparently google chrome takes a lot of battery to run, and well ever since i switched to safari, everything has been good. I also know about keep brightness low on the screen and keyboard.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    You never need to completely drain your battery, unless you have an older MBP with a removable battery and you're calibrating it. What year and model is your MBP?

3. gc15 thread starter macrumors regular

Mine is a base model from 2011. Also I turn my laptop off every night, I know you can leave it on, but is it bad that I turn it off every night?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it won't harm anything to turn it off. It's just unnecessary, as using sleep mode is fine. Many Mac users run for months at a time without shutting down. There are maintenance scripts that will not run if you shut it down every night. If you let it sleep at night instead of shutting down, those scripts will automatically run when your Mac is awake.