Question about Cinema and Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by youse123, Mar 18, 2012.

1. youse123 macrumors newbie

I already own an LED Cinema Display. If I were to purchase a new MacBook Pro, will Apple replace my Cinema Display for the Thunderbot Display?

2. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Why would they replace it? Is it broken? :p

3. youse123 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I were to buy a new MacBook Pro, it would not be compatible with the Cinema Display, hence, asking if Apple will swap the Cinema Display with the Thunderbolt Display

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

But why would they replace it? Even if it's not compatible they won't replace it. The question doesn't make sense.

If I buy a new phone I don't expect Apple to replace my old cases too.

5. scott.n macrumors 6502

A new MacBook Pro would still be compatible with your Cinema Display.

Apple will not upgrade the display for free anymore than they would upgrade your MBP for free.

6. Kroner, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

Kroner macrumors regular

Kroner

Well I don´t see why Apple or any company at all would replace it in this situation.

Either way you don´t have to worry about buying a new MBP. Any new MBP are able to use the cinema display. It is only the old macs with no thunderbolt on them, that can´t use the enw Thunderbolt display.

Well if you really want the ATD you could always sell your display. I believe it should still fetch a good price.

7. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

I would actually suggest holding off on any new laptop purchases for now, unless you really really needed a new laptop (like say, the old one broke, for example), because Apple will update their product line starting sometime in april or may.

These lappys will feature the new Intel Ivy Bridge processors that consume considerably less power compared to the older, current generation and also have a substantially more powerful built-in graphics processor unit that is Directx 11 compatible and also supporting OpenCL for acceleration of general computing tasks on the GPU.

Therefore you can expect either considerably longer battery life, or a thinner, lighter laptop, or maybe even both depending on if Apple drops the optical drive or not...

That would be my reasons for holding off. :)

8. richlee111 macrumors regular

Apple didn't come to have $100 billion in cash through providing upgrades everytime they come out w/ a new generation of a product:)

9. Akack macrumors 6502a

Apple will absolutely and unequivocally not switch your LED for a TB display for no charge.