Question about Cingular text messages

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iJon, Apr 18, 2007.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I have a question to ask the MacRumors community. I am wanting to know if Cingular stores text messages on their server and for how long. I might need an employee of Cingular to fill me in cause all I can get is contradicting answers from various places.

So far I am led to believe that they are indeed stored somewhere for a certain period of time (possibly 2-6 months) and a court ordered subpoena can obtain them.

Any info will be greatly appreciated and I am really looking for a correct answer from someone who knows for sure!

jon

2. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Well, unless Cingular is different from other carriers in terms of their internal SMS servers, they are only stored for 72 hours and/or until delivered.

Good luck with that.

3. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

Thanks for the answer. I still seem to get different answers everywhere I look.

jon

4. efoto macrumors 68030

Best bet is obviously to have it on your phone with the date and time-stamp which should be a legal submission in court.

AT&T (pre-Cingular) was 72 hours on server. Now with going to Cingular and back again I'm not sure the current system.