Question About Civ IV

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by kframpton9, Nov 28, 2010.

1. kframpton9 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I got my macbook about two christmas's ago and it has

2.4GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo,
    Memory: 2GB 1067MHz DDR3
    Graphics : Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCI
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Will this mac book aluminum run Civ IV okay?

2. yanr macrumors newbie

There is a demo of Civ 4 available (here), but I believe it only lets you play the first 100 turns. My advice is to try the demo and see if the performance is acceptable. Warning though, most of the choppiness in Civ games come in the later turns.

My MacBook Pro with the same specs as you, except with an 8600M GT handles the game just fine in Boot Camp WinXP SP3. The 9400M is a weaker card, but shouldn't be a problem.

3. kframpton9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you yanr, my question to you tho is (as i have begun downloading the demo), is it going to put it right in steam for me? and also would you recomoned buying the hard copy of the game (for like $40) or jus downloading it on steam (for liek $20)?

4. doh123 macrumors 65816

while I like Civ5 better overall, Civ4 is still a great game...

I used to play it on lesser hardware than your using... I don't think you'll have problems running it at all.

5. kframpton9 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you doh, and do you think my graphics card thing will be okay for CIV IV? also would you recomend getting a hard copy of the game or just getting it off of steam for $20?

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Just get it off Steam for cheaper. No use in having a hard copy these days-- Steam isn't going anywhere anytime soon, don't worry about it.

I've played Civ IV on my late 2008 aluminum macbook with the 9400M just fine. It runs great on medium settings, even when I ran it on my 24" ACD. If you're just playing it on the 13" screen, it should be even smoother.

I have the 2.0 ghz and 4 gb of RAM, if that helps.

7. kframpton9 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you very much for your input vincenz, my mac book (the silver/aluminum) has 2.4GHz but under memory it says "2GB 1067 MHzDDR3" will that be okay? it scares me becuase it does not say 4gb of ram

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

2 GB of ram should be fine for Civ IV since it's an older game. Wouldn't worry about it! If anything, more ram would just help with load times, but it shouldn't affect frame rates much. Let us know how it runs once you get it installed.

9. kframpton9 thread starter macrumors newbie

you sure 2gb would be fine because on the system requirements it says 4gb i think but i think it should be fine too.

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It doesn't say that; it says 512MB. Maybe you're thinking of drive space, which is a completely different thing.

--Eric