Question about clean IMEI - Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Greg M, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Greg M macrumors 6502

I buy a Verizon 5s from someone that bought it as an upgrade on their contract.

Can I activate it on straight talk as a Verizon BYOP?

What happens if that person down the road doesn't complete the terms of their contract?

Is that iphone then listed as having a bad IMEI and then becomes useless to me?

I don't know the ins and outs of the bad IMEI.

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Even if his account is good and he sells it now, Verizon will blacklist the imei down the road if he doesn't pay the bill and yes, it will basically become an iPod. You're best bet is just to buy the Verizon iPhone full price from apple. That way you don't have to worry about it later. Sure you might pay a little more but the piece of mind is worth it.

3. Greg M thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I thought. However, now he has told me that he paid full price. I guess if he can prove that to me then I should be OK. He wants $600 which would basically save me $95.

4. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Yes, if he can prove that he bought it full price, you'll be alright.

5. tharepairguy macrumors member

This might not be entirely true. Keep in mind that I could be verrrrrry wrong. It's my understanding with verizon, that if the phone is not active on the contract holders account, it will not be blacklisted. I called in about this a while ago while looking for a used iphone 5. Not sure if the device in question needs to be activated on another verizon account for this to be true but ya...

Going back in the memory cells. The person to which I spoke to, informed me that I had no risk when buying a used verizon phone if the imei is clean and activating it on my account. I get 10 different answers when speaking to verizon reps but its worth investigating further if its worth it to you.

Meet the seller in a Verizon store and see if the manager has a form or can witness the sale of property. GL

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

yea i think this is right. if the phone is no longer active on their account, you are free and clear. verizon wont block an ESN of a phone thats fully active on a totally different account thats in good standing, just because the original owner is in default. as long as the original owner has removed the device off their account, and put a different phone in its place, you will be all set. that would be stupid if people had to live in fear that their 2nd hand phones may one day stop working. you can confirm with verizon, but im almost 100% sure that everything will be fine.

7. kazan5 macrumors newbie

Can you help me unlock IP4s Verizon??
    I bought an IP4s on eBay, but i can't use new sim in Vietnam, who have Verizon account please help me unlock it, i realy need to use my phone for bussiness. thanks you.

8. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

no. pay for an unlock service, if you can find it. if you needed to use it in vietnam, why would you buy a locked verizon phone in the first place.