Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrs1986

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2011
Uruguay
Hi all!

I have a question, I had some stickers in the lid of my air, and I decided to take them of today.

They have been there for almost a year, one, was unlucky a paper sticker (why do they make it to look vinyl??) I could took the residue of all the stickers but what is calling my attention is that the lid of the macbook is actually dirty, not extremely dirty, but I can see where the sticker used to be, not an exaggerated difference in color of the lid, just really subtle but as I'm an obsessed SOB I would really like to know what to do to clean "stains" that are of course because of using the laptop...

Well, hope someone have some ideas, I thought about isopropilyc alcohol but do not know about the finish of the laptop if it could be affected by it...

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
You might check with Apple because no doubt they sometimes have to clean returned MBAs that are going back out as refurbs.

Apple isn't the only PC vendor with aluminum laptops. So you might also try a local Windows dealer to see if they have any suggestions.

Good luck.

mrs1986

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2011
Uruguay
Thanks form the reply!

I will see what I can do, is not much noticeable but I would like to be like it was...

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
You might check with Apple because no doubt they sometimes have to clean returned MBAs that are going back out as refurbs.

Apple isn't the only PC vendor with aluminum laptops. So you might also try a local Windows dealer to see if they have any suggestions.

Good luck.

Refurbs usually get new cases, I am pretty sure they won't bother trying to get sticker residuals off.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Use a paper towel and olive oil. Seriously, the olive oil will break down and remove the sticky residue and will not harm the aluminum shell.

Take a paper towel and pour a spot of olive oil about the size of a quarter on it. Let it soak in, and then flip the paper towel (olive oil side) over on the residue and let it sit for a minute or so. Then gently rub the spot with the paper towel. The residue will break down and be absorbed by the paper towel. You may need to repeat this process a couple of times.

After the residue is gone, use a mild detergent on an clean paper towel to clean up the oily spot. Good as new.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7566025_remove-adhesive-sticker-residue.html

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

I would be careful using that. Magic Eraser is actually a mild abrasive (like really fine sandpaper) and the aluminum casing has an outer layer to it that might rub off with the sticker, making it look even worse.

Back when I worked at a place that would lease PCs and put tons of stickers on them, we would use this to remove those stickers cleanly before returning the PCs at the end of the lease:

http://www.amazon.com/Goo-Gone-oz-Removes-stickers/dp/B00006IBNJ

Apply a little bit to the sticker residue and let it soak for a few minutes, then use the edge of a credit card to scrape it off. Works really well, but be careful you don't apply too much, or it'll make a mess.

Last edited:

mrs1986

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2011
Uruguay
I took the residue with no problem, what I see now is like the place where the sticker was is "cleaner" than the surroundings of named stickers...

Sorry but English is not my native language and I'm struggling to express what my needs are...

Basically, I want to know how to clean the aluminum as its becoming a bit darker with the use... :/

Sorry again, I will post a pic if its necessary...

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I took the residue with no problem, what I see now is like the place where the sticker was is "cleaner" than the surroundings of named stickers...

Sorry but English is not my native language and I'm struggling to express what my needs are...

Basically, I want to know how to clean the aluminum as its becoming a bit darker with the use... :/

Sorry again, I will post a pic if its necessary...

Have you tried shooting a little Windex on a paper towel?

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Really? I thought the MBA's guts were so affixed to the shell that it makes repair difficult. If that's the case, wouldn't it be easier and cheap for Apple to try to clean it?

Well the refurbishment process of Apple requires them to take them apart anyway, also usually a new battery is fitted. So I guess not much extra work to change the case. And given that nobody has ever mentioned on this forum that he has received a refurbished with a dent or a scratch, my assumption is that very often they do change the case. For iPads they actually explicitly say so that the outer shell is always replaced. Also keep in mind that the refubs have a new serial number which is printed onto the bottom, so this part has to be replaced in any case.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
Yep
Like scaredpoet said
Don't use anything abrasive.
I use Goo-Gone on everything
Including MBA
Works like a charm and no damage
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00006IBNJ/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

thatguyj

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2017
Oakland + DC
I tried a number of things from toothpaste, to peanut butter to scraping w/ my fingernail and was finally saved by a suggestion from my chemical engineer girlfriend who saw me struggling as I hopelessly spread more foods on my Macbook lid.

Her suggestion (acetone nail polish remover) did the trick. Rubbed it on w/ a cotton swab and wiped it off with a clean paper towel a few seconds later. Sticker residue is 100% gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.