Question About Clone Backups (restoring from SuperDuper!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by soLoredd, Jul 22, 2007.

1. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I got a new hard drive and RAM for my MacBook this past week and decided that, once I had my hard drive installed, to use my bootable backup and clone it to the new hard drive. Well, first off, things didn't work right from the start. I was under the impression I could boot off the clone (FireWire), run SuperDuper, and copy the backup over to the hard drive. Didn't work. So, I then went into Disk Utility and did a restore using a sparseimage that I had made with SuperDuper. Once everything restored I went ahead and made the new hard drive the startup disk and restarted. Unfortunately, that's when I noticed things being not right. My MacBook was running really slow, taking 5-7 seconds to open a Finder window. I also had several extra folders in my OS X directory. They were shortcuts to Ver, Temp, and some other one. So, I decided that, being used to the Windows way, I would just have to erase and install OS X due to the new hardware.

What I'm wondering is...did I miss something or do something wrong? I have always been under the impression if you have a bootable backup you could save the hassle of a reinstall. That's the whole point, right? Does it change when you mess with the hardware? And I'm also wondering what is better to use with SuperDuper and a FireWire drive? An image of the hard drive as backup or a bootable backup? So many questions...need so many answers! :)

Thanks.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

What I did when I changed the HD on my MacBook was to make a fresh Mac OS X install on the new disk, after I'd put it in, and then when the Install asks if you want to migrate data from an old Mac, I used the Migration Tool from the the clone I made with SuperDuper to an external disk before starting the HD replacement, to get all my data and applications back. That way I got rid of some old clutter (from some old tinkering), too...

That said, you shold be able to do what you first described, but you might have to format the new disk into Mac OS extended (journaled) format first, as far as I remember, as they often come pre-formatted in FAT or not formatted at all.