Question about Cloning Hard Drive to New Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aznguy2772, Sep 4, 2008.

1. aznguy2772 macrumors member

I have an old iBook G4 that currently runs on Panther. I'm thinking of getting a new Mac which of course would have Leopard installed. I was wondering how to move my info from the iBook to the new Mac. The only reason I'm asking is because I want to keep my play counts from iTunes. Really important to me.
    Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The migration assistant will probably be you best bet, but you might still lose your play counts. I don't know if there is a way around that.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Get a firewire cable. Plug it into the new mac and the old mac. Start the new mac, follow the instructions to transfer settings from an old mac. transfer all of your settings. log in to your new mac, and it'll be just like your old one.

OR

Set up your new mac. Then use the firewire cable or a network to transfer the iTunes music folder from the old mac to the new one. Open iTunes, it'll have the old mac's database, your play counts are saved.

the end.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, it seems I forgot the part about putting the old Mac into target disk mode. When you turn it on, with a firewire cable connected to the new one, hold T.