Question about color management and wide gamut in Mac OS vs Windows 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beyond One, May 16, 2011.

1. Beyond One macrumors newbie

I never had a Mac but my question is clearly related to Macs so I hope it belongs here. Recently I bought Dell XPS 15 (which has wide gamut display, as I found out later) for web design work and I have a problem in Windows with calibrated color profile, because it works ONLY in color managed programs like Photoshop and Firefox with color management enabled (doesn't work in Safari and Chrome), and doesn't work in everything else, including Windows 7 itself (desktop, icons), movies and Flash. I hate this. How can they sell a notebook to average consumers (market it like a multimedia notebook) with oversaturated colors like that, knowing that Windows doesn't support full color management? They don't even mention it's a wide gamut display and what that means on their website. Nothing. Having not owned any Apple computers, I think Apple wouldn't do things like that.

I want to ask Mac or MacBook Pro users, does Mac OS have this problem at all with wide gamut monitors? Does it support system and programs wide color management? Also, are MacBook Pros or other Macs ever come with wide gamut displays? Do Apple wide gamut monitors exist?

Thank you.

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Posting what colour space you wish to output would help us in assisting you.