Question about compatitbility

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Marsh Stick, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Marsh Stick macrumors newbie

If I was to attach a Bluetooth Adapter or Express Card to the connector at the bottom of the iPod Touch, would they be compatible devices to connect to the internet? I do not own an iPod Touch so that is why I’m asking, because I’d like to know before purchase. Thankyou.

2. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The connector on the bottom of the iPod Touch is an Apple-proprietary interface with various audio, video, power supply, and data connections. It is not compatible with the ExpressCard standard, nor with a general-purpose Bluetooth stack (for data transfers etc).

If you happen to have a generic audio-in, bluetooth-out adapter which can tap in to the iPod Touch dock connector's audio output and power supply pins (like this) then it will work.

3. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

I don't recommend Bluetooth headphones. I have never had any luck with them, and the quality they produce is far less than just attaching a cord to it.

Besides, if you live in a really wireless world (wireless internet, Bluetooth to the computer, wireless sound system, etc), it won't work very well.

Also, from what I've heard, Bluetooth headphones to listen to music don't work on the iPod Touch (and not that well on the iPhone).

4. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The truth is that a bluetooth adapter for the Touch works fine, as all the profiles are in the adapter not the Touch. I have one. Stereo bluetooth sounds great with good bluetooth headphones. It's also true that the iPhone does not support stereo via bluetooth at the moment. You might be able to add an external bluetooth adapter to the iPhone though, for the same stereo performance they give any iPod (except the Shuttle).

You won't be able to access the internet via bluetooth though, for as far as I know most adapters made for the Touch don't have the right networking profiles on them. If you have a PC with a network connection, and stick a wifi add-on to it, you can enable web sharing from the PC which your Touch can use for interent access.

5. Marsh Stick thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but for the ExpressCard and Bluetooth adapter I would just make my own cables, as in I’d buy an ExpressCard reader and swap the ends with the connecter the same way it connects to USB output. Then same for a Bluetooth adapter that has internet profiles on it.

But the fact that the Bluetooth adapter is made for that function, but not for that device, would it work?

6. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The iPod Touch's USB connection is configured as a device, not as a host. Even if it is capable of acting as either a device or a host in hardware (ie maybe it's an OTG port), the iPhone OS would also have to be compatible with it, and it would need drivers for whatever application you're trying to accomplish. The odds are that such support is not present right now. The iPod Touch OS is a *stripped down* version of OS X, so I find it doubtful that they would have wasted space with drivers for pieces of hardware that were not anticipated to be part of the system.

What exactly would you hope to accomplish with an ExpressCard reader on an iPod Touch?

Again, even if it were possible in hardware to connect the data portion of a USB Bluetooth or ExpressCard adapter to the dock connector, you'd still need software on the iPod Touch to work with it. By the way, SDK apps are currently prohibited from directly accessing the dock connector.

To be clear, the Bluetooth headphone adapters that do work with the iPod Touch's dock connctor do not perform any digital data communication with the iPod. Rather, they simply tap into the power supply and analog line out pins that are always present in the connector. All the necessary software for Bluetooth audio broadcast is enclosed within the adapter itself.