Question about configuring a printer...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Galapp, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Galapp macrumors regular

Hi,
    I have a Canon PIXMA ip1000, and I have been trying to configure it as a network printer for a while and I am having trouble with it...

anyone can help? :(

2. ascender macrumors 68000

How are you trying to share it? From a networked Mac or from an AEBS or something?

I think in OS X, all you have to do is enable printer sharing and then other clients should be able to browse to it.

3. Galapp thread starter macrumors regular

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If the printer is an actual printer with an ethernet jack (or wireless) than you don't need to connect the thing to a computer at all, just to your network. If that's the case you need to be using the Network Printer driver.

If you're just trying to get the printer onto the network and it's not a network able printer then yes, follow the advice for sharing the printer.

5. Galapp thread starter macrumors regular

yea but I can't get to "setup" the printer... I mean, its the only drivers that the Macbook Pro doesn't have <_< and I downloaded the drivers, but I don't know how to install them... and most of them were not working =\

6. Galapp thread starter macrumors regular

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

When you open a print dialog box, choose "Add Printer" from the Printer pull-down. Hit the plus to see if your printer shows up, then just follow the onscreen instructions. We've done this with printers shared on our AEBSn and as USB shared printer connected to a desktop.

8. Galapp thread starter macrumors regular

but I don't have drivers of my printer on my MBP, and I downloaded them but still doesn't work =\

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is to be expected if they are USB drivers. In a few exceptional cases, some USB drivers works AirPort. If the USB driver is not one of the exceptional cases (and yours appears not to be), then you need a CUPS driver for your printer if you want to use it in a networked configuration.