Question about connecting to a Terminal Server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by YoMamasPyjamas, May 17, 2007.

1. YoMamasPyjamas macrumors member

Hi All,

I've been reading these forums for quite some time now trying to figure out the best answer to my problem, but I figured I might as well post my dilemma and see if someone can help point me in the right direction.

A little background: I have a MBP which I LOVE, but unfortunately for work I have to use some Windows-only apps (most notably MS Access). At first I was using a Sony Vaio for work, but eventually I installed Bootcamp to run WinXP on my MBP. This worked well enough, but when I heard about Parallels I thought I found my perfect solution - I could use OS X for the web, Dashboard, etc, but use my Bootcamp Partition in Parallels to connect to our win2k Terminal Server, access shared drives, use our MS Access program, etc. However, Parallels has been letting me down lately with failed USB connections, slow performance (I even installed an extra 1 gb of memory to try and help performance!), and today I got the dreaded pinwheel of death and my entire computer froze for the first time since I bought a Mac.

My thinking is now this - if there is some program (CoRD?) that will allow me to connect to our company's server (Windows 2000 Terminal) from OS X, then I can simply bypass Bootcamp and Parallels altogether, as the Remote Desktop Connection has basically everything I need (Outlook, Access, etc) except for Blackberry Desktop for my Pearl (unless there is some way to sync it to my Outlook through the Remote Desktop Connection?). I know this probably seems convoluted, but I am just trying to spell out my configuration, my needs, and my obstacles in hopes that someone might recognize a simple solution to this all.

Right now it seems like Bootcamp is my best option - but please someone tell me there is another way!!!

Thanks in advance!:D
    Josh

EDIT: I forgot to mention that we also connect through a VPN in order to access the shared drives and server when we are not in the office. Would this be doable through OS X?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm...that would be Remote Desktop Client. Free download or already installed in your MS Office 2004 folder. ;) Works essentially the same as the Windows product. Full screen, including at widescreen resolutions (at least on 2003 TS). Fast, even over the public internet. No firewall mods needed. Love it to pieces.

3. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

You can use microsoft remote desktop from www.mactopia.com

It's runs under rosetta but it's perfectly usable.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I forgot about the Rosetta issue...that's a fair point. It's so fast, however, on a G4 or G5 that I doubt it would be bothersome. Also you have the excellent advantage that, when you launch additional apps inside the terminal environment, the memory load goes on the server and not on your Mac. ;)

5. cdtrebor macrumors newbie

Connecting to Windows Terminal Server from Mac OSX

The procedure is to first connect the VPN from the Mac. Once this is done you can use the Remote Desktop Connection software which is a free download from Microsoft to connect to your server- or any other computer on the local network. I have done this using 2003 SBS, Vista and XP machines.

You just need the (local) IP address of the computer you are connecting to and access privileges.