Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

optimus187prime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2007
Hello I am going to be getting my first Mac and first laptop soon. A 2.2GHz Blackbook. I know these machines arnt primarily for games but I thought it would be cool to get some on there just in case. What are the best Emu's to get? I know there are alot of options. I was definitly thinking about getting a Emu for NES, SNES, N64, Sega, and MAME. So basically which ones are good and how do they run ?

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
Hello I am going to be getting my first Mac and first laptop soon. A 2.2GHz Blackbook. I know these machines arnt primarily for games but I thought it would be cool to get some on there just in case. What are the best Emu's to get? I know there are alot of options. I was definitly thinking about getting a Emu for NES, SNES, N64, Sega, and MAME. So basically which ones are good and how do they run ?

http://www.bannister.org/software/emu.htm

Retired
May 16, 2006
Sixtyforce is great for N64 emulation, and a big update is due out soon...

joemama2413

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2007
NYC
emulator-zone.com is always good.
does anyone know where i can get gcube for mac. the link on their website is down.

erise

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
Seattle, Washington
I've used Mac emulators for a long time (I actually used to work on the MacEmu site and still post on the forums there). These are the emulators I recommend you try out:

Arcade: MAME OS X
Nintendo (NES): Nestopia
Super Nintendo (SNES): SNES9x
Nintendo 64: sixtyforce
Nintendo Game Boy / Game Boy Color: KiGB
Nintendo Game Boy Advance: Boycott Advance
Sega Master System / Game Gear: SMS Plus
Sega Genesis: Genesis Plus

They are all pretty user friendly and have good compatibility. A 2.2Ghz MacBook should be able to run all of these emulators very well.

Here is a working link to gcube but I don't think it really runs that well. It's not developed anymore and probably won't even compile on an Intel Mac.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Anyone know of the best PlayStation 1 emulator for Mac? And a good N64 one would be great too.

I've tried PCSX and FlareStorm 2 for Playstation emulators, but both seemed pretty buggy. Actually, PCSX crashed right when I told it to run the CD. FlareStorm 2 was a little weird, it didn't seem to have support for audio but maybe it was just a setting or something. The graphics were a little screwy too.

Sixtyforce works great though. Got Ocarina of Time working.

I guess I could always set up my real consoles...... with the real games....... but eh.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Help!

Can any of you give me a little help??? I just downloaded some emulators for NES, SNES, and Sega, but I don't know how they work :( Where do I get the games and how does it all work??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Ok I found some games, but they are like weird remakes, and only one level. Is that normal in the emulator world or can I find the real, full versions of the games I want anywhere??? I am looking for, Mario, Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Contra, & Sonic The Hedgehog :)

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville

Due to legality issues (I'm waiting for Canadian RAM to come in and say all this) you can only play homebrewn games on Console Emulators, the use of "ROM"s are Illegal to say the least, but what the heck. Snes9x for SNES, Nestopia for NES, google genesis emulator mac os x and you'll find a site with some good ones, VBA for GBA or Boycott Advanced also works well.

Now as for ROMS... I'm not sure.

john.e.q

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Question about visual boy advance

I just installed visual boy advanced on my mac, and I downloaded Pokemon Saphari, but i can't get it to save. Can any body tell me How? Also is there a way i can get the screen any bigger?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.