Question about contracts...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mjmar, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

So right now I have a plain old At&t phone and am part of a family plan. The main phone on the plan is my mom's iPhone. I got it only about 3 weeks ago, and today I talked to an At&t worker on the phone and he said that if I wanted to have an iPhone on that plan, I would need to pay only $30 more per month than I am paying now. This got me interested in buying an iPhone 3g. My question is how would I go about changing my phone to an iPhone, and would I need to deactivate my current At&t account?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

All you have to do is go to an at&t store, and buy the iPhone and have them use your current SIM or your current number on your Mom's account. If however, your line is not elegible for an upgrade, you will have to pay full price, otherwise it will just be $199/$299 the $18 upgrade fee, and $30 more per month from then on.

TEG

3. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you very much for the reply. How can I tell if I'm eligible for the upgrade though?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It should be on the at&t account page, or if the phone was activate 18 months or more ago.

TEG

5. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

I believe that my mom is eligible for the upgrade to the 3g for $199/$299. Can I use her eligibility to get myself an iPhone?

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The odds are yes. You would be best off talking to her about this, then going together to an at&t store (as they have an easier time with those upgrades) and take care of it, plus you can't really do anything to the account with out the person whose name it is under.

TEG