Question about converting MKV to MP4 with Subtitles

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rx3alpha, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Rx3alpha macrumors newbie

I am trying to convert some anime videos that I have under the MKV format to MP4 so that I can watch it on my ipad2. I used iSkysoft video converter to convert a video and the sound + video qualities are great, but the subtitles disappeared. Does anyone know a method or software to convert the MKV files without losing the subtitles?

2. shebalord macrumors newbie

3. Rx3alpha thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I think I found a solution. MKVtools seem to work pretty well in that it is able to "burn" the subtitles onto the video during conversion.

4. Plx32 macrumors member

Subler is a also a great way to achieve this without even re-encoding anything.

It will extract the h264 video from the mkv, extract aac audio (or re-encode ac3 audio if necessary) and add soft subtitles from a srt file, and mux everything to mp4 ipad-ready file.

Video quality as a result is excellent.
    Subtitles can be activated or de-activated (soft subtitles)

The only issue is that soft subtitles are incredibly small on iPad, when they are ok on iPhone.

It's a bug with iPad, and so far Apple doesn't seem to care...

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Airvideo converts MKV to M4P files. It even lets you pick a font for the subtitles.