Question about copying music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigslickster, Nov 30, 2007.

1. bigslickster macrumors newbie

Hello, i just got a macbook pro and went and purchased a external hard drive for school. I would like to backup my cds onto the hard drive so i can easily carry my music with my laptop and not take up half my hard drive with my cds. So i was wondering if there is a application out there or just a way to back up my cds without itunes. Simply because i would like the ease of hooking it up to any computer and being able to listen to my music. If anyone has a program or ideas i would love to hear them. Thanks for your time and possible help.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just because you use iTunes to rip your CDs does not mean you need to use iTunes to play back the ripped music. You can use what ever media player you like as long as it is compatible with AAC, MP3 or Apple Lossless (depending on what format you use to encode from within iTunes).

If you really don't want to use iTunes, Max is a good option although if you are running Leopard I would recommend using the latest unstable release as it fixes a few bugs relating to Leopard. Max has the advantage of being able to rip in FLAC and APE format as well, which are very good lossless audio formats.

3. bigslickster thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to bump a old thread but i figured its better then starting a new one. I started to back up my music using i tunes, i just put it in mp3 format. But i have a problem where it isnt grabbing any track names/ablum names/artist names off the cd. I went in and edited it manual by changing file names and what not but it has done nothing, tracks still show up as track 01, track 02 and so on. How do i go about getting them to atleast show up in the name i edited them to. I dont have a problem doing this if i cant get itunes to grab the info off the disc but i cant figure out why it isnt sorting them by file name.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

What type of CDs were they? If they were ones you made yourself it obviously won't be able to add the track names. If they are commercially available CDs make sure you have checked the option to get CD track names from the internet.

Go to iTunes menu > Preferences > Advanced > Importing and then check the track information tick box.

5. bigslickster thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet, thanks! It fixed my problem. I have to commend this board. Both my questions were answered promptly and correct. Its always nice to find communities where people actually help one another.