Question about creating dual boot drives...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LABubbahotep, Feb 3, 2012.

1. LABubbahotep macrumors newbie

I had looked on message board and while there are some topics similar I couldn't find one that addressed my question, so I do apologize in advance for a repeated question.

I've used Macs for awhile, but only for video/audio and never in the stance messing with the OS.

I wanted to create a dual boot Mac Pro where both drives would be Mac OS, but I wanted one side to be for some programs (avid) and the other for other programs (final cut pro) so that I would be able to update things without worrying about compatibility issues.

Whenever I would use the disk utility on my Mac I would create a disk image, but whenever I would try to put it on the drive I installed it would run for awhile and then give me an error.

I'm not sure if I should just use a separate program and if I do, would I just create a clone of the drive so it is the same and then just uninstall the program(s) I do not want on one?

If anyone has any thoughts or a solution I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.