Question About Custom Clearance for Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Isa Al, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Isa Al macrumors member

Hey

I ordered the new Macbook Pro from a US site and shipped it to my country through MyUS (a freight forwarder) by DHL

The shipment arrived today but it's held by customs because its value exceeds 1,000$ and it needs extra clearance and custom fees. I want to self clear it from customs because I was told it's faster and cheaper. DHL's brokers take around 240$ to clear it.

So my question is, usually around the world are such items hard to clear from customs and go through a lot of procedures and stuff? It's for personal use so not commercial at all. What do you think guys what issues may I face while clearing it from customs? Sure it depends on the country but I mean in general how do customs look at a non commercial imported laptop?

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

It doesn't matter if it is commercial or not, the taxman wants to be paid his tariffs.

Usually it is quite easy. You prove the value of the item and they charge the appropriate fee.

I don't know where you live. If it is a country with entrenched corruption, then the real problem may be that the customs guy wants his, uh, "share".

3. Isa Al thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I am not talking about the fees but about the procedure. DHL told me they have information about commercial shipments how to clear them by my self and the papers needed but for personal shipments they don't have enough information.

I know am going tomorrow at 7AM to pick up the delivery order paper from DHL at the airport then go customs. I can't think of any procedure needed more than showing the invoice and paying taxes, knowing that the official invoice is on the package. But everyone at DHL making a big deal of it and telling me you need a broker not sure why so that made me a bit scared. Unless the DHL just want to get their 240$...

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

In my extremely limited experience (once), I had to fill out a fairly simple declaration form and show my invoice/receipt.

5. Isa Al thread starter macrumors member

It went smoother than expected. In like 15 minutes I got it out :D

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Glad to hear it.

Exactly.

If this is a 'normal' country, there should not be any problem as it is a perfectly legitimate tax.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Well then, DHL brokers are making some pretty good money!

8. Isa Al thread starter macrumors member

True. 240$ for less than 15 minutes job.

I am thinking to work as a broker I will be very rich lol :p

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Which do you value more, money or time?

Spending money often saves time; spending time will save money.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

One's own evaluation of their time's worth isn't the only factor. Many people live in a situation where a third party largely determines that worth.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Oh, absolutely, agreed. This is very true.

However, for myself, I have come to realise that - given a choice in the matter which is not always, or, even often, the case, - I will almost always spend money to save time.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Quite the luxury...;)

13. Isa Al thread starter macrumors member

You can make extra money if you spend it but you can't make extra time if you waste it ;)

But it to totally depends. Many times I pay more for next day delivery or other stuff to get them faster but I have to see if it's worth it or not. I don't think 15 minutes worth 240$ unless it's impossible to be done by my self easily...