Question about customer upgrade parts and apple care.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zsnow, Jun 23, 2009.

1. zsnow macrumors regular

Since I upgrade my 13' uMBP HD and Memory, do you guys keep the original parts or just sold them? I have no use for the old parts.
    I'm wondering if anyone have experience with apple care on your customized macbook.
    Question:
    1:Do you put back the original part before go to service?
    2:Will they refuse to fix it if it come with your upgraded parts? (i mean the problem is not the part your put in, of course.)

2. qpid macrumors regular

Apple will not fix any parts that are not apple branded, but they will fix a computer that has been upgraded

3. zero85ZEN macrumors regular

You're best off to keep the original parts and, in the event you need to use AppleCare, reconfigure back to stock before taking/sending in your computer. You cover your arse that way and don't give Apple the opportunity to deny coverage.

This is the approach I've followed. Piece of mind in keeping AppleCare in place is worth much more to me than eBaying unused original memory/HD.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

...And there are times where Apple will revert back to what was in there originally. Example, stock HDD is 250GB, if you send it for repair and with a 500GB HDD they might take that out and put a 250GB back in there.

5. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

And you cannot request said item that they took out?

6. zsnow thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your answers. I'll just keep those parts i guess.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I usually keep my old parts, but 90% of the time I lose them as well.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's a good question. I'm really not sure. I know of it happening but unknown about the return - no one really updated us when it happened. There was one thread recently that they gave the owner a 500GB drive because of the "error". So I guess if you do leave it in there, maybe if you complain or bring it to their attention, they might give you something to make up for it.