Question About Daisy-Chaining WD HDD's.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Evildemon989, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Evildemon989 macrumors newbie

Well, I have a white Macbook which has a Firewire port, and two usb ports. Currently, I have one Western Digital 640GB Essential Edition. It only has a power port, and a mini usb on the back.(Using a mini usb to usb 2.0 cable). I plan on getting a My Book Studio which has 2 firewire 800 ports(Comes with a FW 800 to FW 400 adapter), an eSATA port, and a mini usb port. Now, my brother uses his two studios daisy chained together via FW 800. The second drive is plugged into the FW 800 port on the back of the drive. Now, I'd like to have the same configuration, but my essential only goes threw usb. Now, since the studio has a mini usb port on the back, can I get a mini usb to mini usb cable(both male) and plug it in the mini usb port on the studio? If so, what cable do you recommend?

EDIT: I would then be mounting both the drives via the FW 800 to FW 400 adapter that comes with the Studio.

2. Mufasa804 macrumors regular

No unfortunately you wont be able to daisy chain it. You'll just have to use one of your computer's USB ports and your new WD FW 800 on one of the FireWire ports.