question about damaged front panels on iPhone 6S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shandyman, Nov 10, 2015.

1. shandyman Suspended

Hi,

I've just dropped my iPhone 6S, and for the first time since the first iPhone, i've damaged the front glass. It's only the bottom on the edge, but a chunk has come out. it's not on the screen, but just about 3 millimetres of the bezel.

I only had it 14 days, hadn't taken out AppleCare+. I know without AppleCare+ it will cost me £106 in the UK, but if I take out AppleCare+, as I'm within 30 days of purchase, would I get it as a free repair? I saw mention that there can be excess to pay, if serious damage, but the screen itself is fine.

Anyone got any experience with this?

Also, whichever way they do it, will it be done in store, there and then?

2. walmartmartyr macrumors 6502

theres only two numbnuts instances allowed, and each cost $80CAN to replace the phone. Plus the $160 for the applecare in the first place.... shesh

3. shandyman thread starter Suspended

The Apple Site seems a bit conflicted on this, they say "Accidental damage isn't covered by the Apple One Year Limited Warranty, but AppleCare+ covers two incidents of accidental damage with an excess fee." From what the site says, the excess is if they replace the entire phone, rather than just the screen.

Since the screen isn't damaged, I was wondering if they would just replace the screen under the AppleCare+. Then it saves me a bit of money. Mind you, there's only £20 difference between the 2 costs on the site

4. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Normal AppleCare one year coverage does not cover accidental damage (Drops/water damage, etc), only if things go wrong with the phone not your accidents. AppleCare Plus coverage does.

If you try and get the AppleCare + coverage by phone, Apple will run a diagnostic to see if its in good order. If they see it in person, they will deny AppleCare + coverage, and you will have to pay the screen placement fee, and what ever else might be found on your system. The later is just like committing fraud if you do not tell them you dropped it, and damaged the phone trying to get the AppleCare Plus coverage by phone. That's my take.

I hope others will not tell you to hide the fact of the damage, and try, and get the coverage by phone.

5. shandyman thread starter Suspended

Just looked, actually will cost more to get AppleCare+ than to just pay to replace the screen.

Do they do it there and then? I know they do when it's faulty, don't want to assume it's the same.

6. Conan86 macrumors 6502

Have seen several users trying to get their screen replaced ended up having the whole device swapped for the price of a screen repair as they couldn't repair it on the spot. They'll usually do it on the spot, you're paying for the change anyways so there's really no reason for them not to do it.

7. shandyman thread starter Suspended

Cool. Thought they'd probably do it on the spot, like the others, but wanted to be sure.

Cheers

8. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

I would just keep it and forget about it if it was me. Had a similar glass chip on my 5s... just a battle scar.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The excess applies for any accidental damage repair.