Question about data useage while tethering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by detoxguy, Aug 2, 2009.

1. detoxguy macrumors member

Does tethering my laptop to my iPhone use more data than by simply accessing the same sites directly on my phone?

I have occasionally been tethering through bluetooth while working nights as my workplace has banned facebook and a few other "time wasting/high bandwidth" websites. I have a 6GB data plan and without too much youtube and no downloading music I was pretty sure that I would easily be able to stay within my data limit. However someone I work with is trying to tell me that my laptop will be pulling dramatically more data through 3G than the iPhone would, I think he's wrong but am now curious.

Attached Files:

2. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

The full version of the sites will have a lot more data transfer than the mobile version you would normally access on your phone. Just keep an eye on your data counter and you'll be ok.

Question for others though: Is the data cap (6GB in his case, 5GB for us in the US on AT&T) incoming data, or combined sent/received data?
    I'm pretty sure it's combined, but I just wanted to make sure.

3. detoxguy thread starter macrumors member

I was asking regarding viewing the full sites in safari on the iPhone and not the mobile optimized versions. My coworker's belief is that with the laptop connected to the internet via tethering all the background processes (anti-virus, update checks etc.) would cause a huge increase in the amount of data being accessed through the 3G network. I am kinda seeing his point the more I think about it. I am hoping that the data counter keeps track of tethered data the same way it does for data accessed directly through the phone.

On another note I am pretty amazed at the speed and ease of tethering via bluetooth and hope that AT&T gives it to you soon. I also hope they upgrade the network enough to give you the speeds we are seeing here in Canada.

I will have to enjoy it while I can though as apparently come the new year they will start charging us for tethering...boourns.

4. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Yes, and like I said, viewing the full versions of sites will transfer a lot more data than you would in comparison to the mobile versions you would access on your phone.
    I wouldn't worry about the update checks, because they wouldn't transfer much unless you start downloading updates, and [most of the time] you can tell it not to update or stop it before it transfers much data.

The data counter should work exactly the same, you're still transferring the information over 3G though the phone.

We can use tethering now with the modified carrier file. Not legit, but it works. Since it takes only a few seconds to change the carrier file, I keep the stock current carrier file on the phone (along with a copy saved on my computer), and change back and forth as necessary.
    Apparently (rumored) AT&T is going to charge $40/month for unlimited tethering, bringing it to a total of $70 for iPhone unlimited data & tether. I think the plan for a USB connector for your laptop on AT&T is $40/month, so it's better to get one of those rather than using an iPhone anyway.

5. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

yeah don't worry about it. 6 gb is a lot and if our not dl'ing video you'll be fine

6. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Which "5GB" limit are you talking about? Has AT&T announced its pricing and details on tethering?

7. detoxguy thread starter macrumors member

Maybe I'm saying it wrong but I am not talking about the mobile versions of websites. I am talking about the full version viewed both on the laptop and the full version of the exact same site on the iPhone. I am aware that a full version will contain more data than the mobile version. I am also aware that Safari on the iPhone is capable of displaying the full version of a website (unless the site contains Flash) in addition to mobile optimized versions of the same.

Anyways that is a moot point as other than me not being clear/you misreading the point has been made and I think I understand that I don't need to worry too much about maxing out my data plan.

Thanks for all your help.

8. detoxguy thread starter macrumors member

She is referring to the cap on data plans. Rogers has/had a plan for 6GB of data for 30 dollars but doesn't call it unlimited. AT&T in the states has an "unlimited" data plan but caps it at 5GB. The difference is that Rogers doesn't pretend their plan is unlimited. They just find other ways to **** us around

9. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I've heard all that before, but I've yet to see the proof that AT&T caps the data access to 5GB where it says "Unlimited." I don't have the URL here, but I do remember reading the AT&T Terms of Services that clearly states the data plan for the iPhone is unlimited. It would be stupid of AT&T (or anyone for that matter) to go against its own legal statement, would it not?

There were also a few threads about this a while ago if you're interested. :)

10. detoxguy thread starter macrumors member

11. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

He. I'm a guy.

12. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Ah, I gotcha now. I would assume that the full version of the websites loaded on your phone, or on your computer, would transfer the same amount of data then. The difference is, your iPhone would reload the page periodically, whereas your computer won't reload the page until you hit refresh.

Theoretically, if you're not allowing anything else on your computer but your browser to be online, then you could possibly use less data.
    The difference is, you'll be loading and browsing multiple pages at once on your computer, whereas on your phone, you'll be viewing one page at a time.

13. detoxguy thread starter macrumors member

My bad. Didn't even realize I had typed she. Must be the night shift getting to me.