Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Alright i know everyone is going to want to close this thread/firebomb my apartment/and flame me for asking this but it involves a fair amount of cash to me so I wanna know.

After needing more ram really bad(think Tiger, iPhoto) I've decided i'm gonna buy a 1 gig stick. I've also decided on Datamem.com because well they ship USPS and if me or none of my roommates are home the Post Office is very close to me so i can pick it up.

Sorry i'll get to the point.

They have 2 options of ram they have this one for 149:
1GB Major/3rd 200 Pin DDR PC2700 333Mhz 128x64 CL 2.5 SODIMM Mac & PC DM50 155-2 $149.00
DMS Lifetime Memory Replacement Guarantee.

And this one for 155:
1GB 200 Pin DDR PC2700 333Mhz 128x64 CL 2.5 SODIMM All Mac & PC's (Samsung Original) DM50 155 $155.00
DMS Lifetime Memory Replacement Guarantee.

I was wondering if anyone knew if either one was more reliable or known to be faster the specs all appear the same but I know how some people are religious about ram and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion. I'd rather spend the 6 bucks if it is going to make any difference.

Thanks everyone I know you'll steer me in the right direction!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Hi iDM

The DM50 155-2 and the DM50 155 modules will have precisely the same performance and reliability in your Powerbook. The two modules are built of different chips, but Data Memory Systems tests and guarantees them for compatibility.

DMS is a good choice, they are honest and they know Macs inside and out. I have dealt with them for over 5 years.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

iDM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
CanadaRAM said:
Hi iDM

The DM50 155-2 and the DM50 155 modules will have precisely the same performance and reliability in your Powerbook. The two modules are built of different chips, but Data Memory Systems tests and guarantees them for compatibility.

DMS is a good choice, they are honest and they know Macs inside and out. I have dealt with them for over 5 years.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

I actually gave Datamem.com a look strictly because you mentioned it in another ram post(see i did do a search). Someone mentioned once that you were the go to guy for ram.

So your saying i mine as well save the 6 bucks?

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....yeah, he is basically saying save the $6. And I will add that I have bought from Datamem in the past and had no problems either with the service of the RAM I bought....good company to deal with....oh yeah!

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....yeah, he is basically saying save the $6. And I will add that I have bought from Datamem in the past and had no problems either with the service of the RAM I bought....good company to deal with....oh yeah!

I bought 2xGig sticks a while back, fast service, no problems. Overall, good value.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Does the fact that it is Samsung or the "Same stuff that is in the Apple" make the $155 worth the extra 6 bucks.

I guess what i'm saying is, if their is even a slight better known build quality or slight increase in reliability etc. I'll splurge on the 6 bucks.

I'll be buying this ram in about an hour or 2 depending on what you guys think.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
iDM said:
Does the fact that it is Samsung or the "Same stuff that is in the Apple" make the $155 worth the extra 6 bucks.

I guess what i'm saying is, if their is even a slight better known build quality or slight increase in reliability etc. I'll splurge on the 6 bucks.

I'll be buying this ram in about an hour or 2 depending on what you guys think.
It makes $6 worth of difference if YOU feel more comfortable with the Samsung brand, being as they are the current Apple Corp. choice.

Go ahead and splurge, I think you'll be happier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.