Question about defective 8600 gpu replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Leblaze, May 10, 2009.

1. Leblaze macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure my gpu on the MBP just crapped out on me. Same thing just happened to my brother's a couple months ago. Screen went black after restart, PRAM reset and hooking up to external monitor did nothing. I'm taking it in tomorrow.
    OK So my question is: What exactly did they replace it with? It's the gpu thats f*cked, so did they replace it with something new or just give you another 8600mt?

Thanks!

2. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

They'll just replace it with a 8600. There is no other video card available for that model.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The gpu is part of the logic board, so they'll have to replace the whole thing on it.

When you take it in for repair at the applestore, ask them if the replacement board will have been manufactured after September of 2008 and report back to us. Engadet and others have reported that nvidia 8600's made before that date will have the manufacturing defect that caused these chips to fail more often.

4. ceasetoexist macrumors member

apple is retarded, if they are still using the same manufacturing line of cards.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Never overlook the power of pure greed, m'boy. If the repair center has a pallet full of spare logic boards made within the same period as the originals, you can bet your sweet a$$ that they'll continue to use them to save a buck.

The defective cards were made until september 08, a month before the new unibody mbp's came out with a different card.

6. ceasetoexist macrumors member

so basically, i will get the same defective card. but i will not get a new 1 year warranty.

7. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I'm glad my gpu is still working fine. I got the Penryn MBP the day they came out and haven't had any problems. It even overclocks really well even if it does seem a little hot.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'm unsure about that. If you've got applecare, the new machine should be covered until that runs out, I believe. That's another question when you take it into the apple store.

I'm really glad I got a used 2.33 mbp with the ati card.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Please don't use the word 'retarded' in that matter; not PC.

And if anything, NVIDIA should have fixed that problem by now.

10. Leblaze thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, I was hoping to get a new gpu, but I'm assuming only the 2.4ghz can handle the 256+mb gfx cards, not the 2.2ghz (which is what I have).

They should have stuck with ATI imo... Oh well, this will be the 2nd time within a year I'm taking in my MBP for gfx issues... Apple products have seemed to decline in stability over the past couple of years...

Anyways, thanks for the replies!

11. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I simply cannot image that Apple would knowingly replace a defective board with a defective board, just to extend the potential for problems for another year or more. I have to believe that people with this issue, including myself, will be getting 8600 boards, but updated ones without the known problems.

12. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

It's not like apple has a giant warehouse full of logic boards that will be used over the years when people need them. Modern manufacturing works in smaller batches. While we can't know for sure since I (and presumably you) don't work for Apple, it's likely that they are now using updated logic boards without the defect caused by nvidia.