Question about deposit for new service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by woods1110, Mar 19, 2008.

1. woods1110 macrumors member

my wife went in to an at&t store to see if they would require a deposit for new service and they checked her credit and said no deposit required. She told them she was looking at getting an iPhone and the employee said that is totally different.

My question is when we get an iPhone and activate through itunes, would they possibly require a deposit? Isn't it all the same. I just don't want to buy an iphone and try to activate and have to pay an enormous deposit.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

If they told her that she doesn't need to make a deposit, then she won't need to make a deposit. It's that simple

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If the iPhone activation requires a deposit you can just do it through iTunes or use it as a GoPhone. You shouldn't have to worry about it.

TEG

4. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

that sounds kind of shady to me... The deposit is usually needed (if at all) to guarantee payment of service... It shouldn't have anything to do with the phone itself. If they said no deposit is necessary for one phone, it shouldn't be necessary for another. I would buy the iPhone and activate it online and avoid those cell phone places at all costs...

5. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

No, no, no... you guys are misunderstanding it all.

You walked in asking if you need to leave a deposit, they check your wife's credit and said no, then you say it was for an iPhone and they said "oh that's totally different" only because they don't activate the iPhone in the store. That's all. If you buy an iPhone and you activate it through iTunes using your wife's credit (and her credit hasn't changed since the time it was checked in the store) then you will be fine. But if you try to activate it with your credit and your credit is bad, then yes, you'll have to leave a deposit or use the pay-as-you-go option.