Question about DFU and Recovery Mode

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wrathofhawk, Apr 23, 2010.

1. wrathofhawk macrumors newbie

wrathofhawk

My iPhone won't go past the apple logo and its been this way for about a month. I have never experienced this before or anything that required me to restore my phone/ipod touch for that matter, so I don't have a whole lot of experience with recovery mode/DFU mode. The thing is, I haven't backed up my phones photos/notes/app data/etc since last October, so I'd be losing a lot of stuff. I am wondering if it is possible for me not to use my phone's october backup if it can restore on its own properly? Or does it format the phone and you're required to? My main question is what should I use in this case, I know Recovery mode utilizes iBoot and DFU doesn't, but does it even matter?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It wont even matter. Like you said it formats everything so you either restore from October or nothing at all.
    Next time make sure you backup more often.

3. wrathofhawk thread starter macrumors newbie

wrathofhawk

Alright, thanks

4. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

I'm doing my first DFU Mode Recovery/Restore right now. Not too bad after almost two years of ownership. Phone had been flakey the last week or so. Locked up a couple of days ago that took two hard resets to get it going. Then, tonight I did a couple of updates and then attempted to shut down and re-start like I always do after doing an update...except it wouldn't boot past the Apple logo. Google was my friend and found the Apple Support page that details putting in Recovery Mode and Restore.

Right now it's reloading apps. Next will most likely be almost 9 gigs of tunes. I think I'm going to be up for a while.

Fun stuff!

Steve

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Welcome do the magical world of DFU/Recovery mode. Go forth and help others.

6. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

Can I just let this thing go and go to bed? I feel like I need to keep an eye on it...but it's frickin' 11:0 and I'm shot.

Steve

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No you dont need to watch it.
    It will do its thing on its own.

8. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

Thanks much! I actually stayed up. It just finished it's thing. Now I'm doing the app updates that I was trying to do before. Hopefully it doesn't take a crap on me again.

One bonus....my vibrate hasn't worked in quite a while...but appears to be working now.

Steve