Question about Disabling Control Center within Apps

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Patrick J, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

If you disable control center within apps, how do you change the song when you're in another app?

2. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

You can't, because you disabled the control center. Oh, if you're using headphones with controls you can use that.

3. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

That seems a pretty stupid implementation.

4. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Wait, you disabled the ability to view music controls and then say it's stupid that you can't view music controls?

5. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

you can multitask, double click the home button, switch to music, change it, double click home button, switch back to other app. It's actually pretty quick & easy (at least on iPhone 5).

6. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

The only reason I can imagine the "disable Control center" toggle is there is due to the stupid amount of unwanted times people activated the gesture, especially in games.

I suppose I'm just a bit against Control center.

7. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Ah ok. Well in addition to benji's advice, an alternative (which you *might* find easier, especially if your music app is at the end of recent apps) is to press the home button and then swipe up for control center. Then double click back to your last app.

I understand these methods are a bit more interruptive than the old tray music controls though.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Awesome. Thus they gave you the ability to disable it.

9. Joaolx macrumors member

Joaolx

You can actually open control center from multitasking. Just double tap home button and swipe up from the bottom. No need to go to the music app. But I'm nit sure if it works if you disable within apps.

10. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Nice. It does work when disabled in apps. So exactly same as iOS 6- double click + swipe.

11. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I stand corrected.

12. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

I will now extensively play Fruit Ninja and Temple Run, two very gesture-heavy games. Will report how many times control centre grabber was popping up and if one time cc even opened.

Btw, many people were complaining about the same stuff when notification center was introduced...:rolleyes:

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Another similar question is if you disable Control Center from being on the lock screen, how do you start music there if you stopped it (or it stopped on its own, as it happens sometimes)? The music controls disappear in cases like that and then there's no way to access them again without unlocking the phone basically.

----------

Interesting how they quickly already added an option for even unreleased Control Center, but none still exists for Notification Center.

14. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Now after playing both Fruit Ninja and Temple Run: 1 time notification grabber invoked, disappeared when I continued swiping through the game. 0 times control center invoked during games. What are you guys complaining?

15. Riverton macrumors member

I wonder if it would be better to allow users to disable Control Center for certain apps, similar to the Notification Center settings. For example, I don't want to accidentally launch Control Center while playing Need For Speed, but I would definitely want it while browsing Twitter.

16. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Might be too fiddly for Apple... Hmm, a less atomic alternative, but one which might suit many people such as yourself, would be an option to disable CC in full screen apps (i.e. In cases where currently the grabber is displayed first)

17. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

1) Siri, pressing play on the headphones, actually opening the music app. Also, if music stops on it's own and the device is locked, the audio controls remain until you unlock the phone. Have you even used iOS 7 before?

2) Probably because all the functions Control Center does can be accessed without actually using Control Center. CC just makes it easier to access them. On the other hand if you were to disable Notification Center you would have no way to check your notifications.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

1. Opening the music app means unlocking the phone, which isn't relevant to the question given that it's about the phone being locked. Siri is an option, although not as simple as the controls on the screen (and depending what environment you are in might not really be a good option). Pressing on the headphones might also be an option, if you are using headphones at that time. I've had the music stop, when I'm streaming it for example, and the controls would be gone from the the lock screen at that point. Perhaps a bug of some sort in an iOS 7 beta and/or some of the apps, but it has happened in iOS 7 for me in various situations. And, yes, I've been using iOS 7 continuously since beta 1 was released.

2. Yes, there's that. And then there are people who don't care about Notification Center and some that actually not just don't care but don't want it because they don't use it and it does get in the way for them at times given their use of various apps (like games, for example), as is the case with Control Center pretty much. Just found it interesting that the option was provided for Control Center from the beginning it seems, but nothing for Notification Center years down the line.

19. Ed91 macrumors 6502

This would be a nice compromise.