Question about Domains

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by nelsencaleb, Jul 30, 2010.

1. nelsencaleb macrumors regular

Hey, I'm wondering how domain selling companys make there own domains. Why can't we make our own domains or can we, I just don't understand. Does anyone else?

2. Dunmail macrumors regular

The domain selling companies don't create their own domain names the ".com" bit - this is limited by ICANN and it takes a while for everyone to agree for new codes.

If you mean the lower level domain names like "macrumors" then this is on a first come first served basis. Typically the domain name sellers will have a page where you can select your domain name and the top level domain (the ".com" bit) so here in the UK there will be an option to select either ".com", ".co.uk" ".org.uk", etc. Your choice is then checked against existing registered names and if it is free then you can have it - after paying the fee of course :p

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name

The right to issue domain names is delegated to various domain name registrars (the selling companies to you and me) who pay a fee for the privilege.

Hope this helps - and actually answers your question!