Question about downgrading an iPhone still under contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MisterBigMack, Aug 28, 2015.

1. MisterBigMack macrumors member

Hi,

I don't know if this question can just be aimed at people in the UK, where I am from or if it can be relavant to people living in the US.

Anyways, I currently pay £39 a month on EE for my iPhone 6 Plus and my contract runs out next september, so I have about a year left,

Now not wishing to bore anyone with my life and problems but I have become in financial problems, so I thought could I sell my iPhone 6 plus handset (obviously not including the SIM card) on one of these mobile selling websites and I think I can get £350-£400 for it, but I don't understand when it says locked or unlocked - If I sell it through that website would i say its locked to EE? Is that how it works?

And I was thinking with the cash, I could pick up an iPhone 5C or 5S and put a lot of that extra cash away - so I presume my phone and data plan would just carry over to the 5C or 5S from the sim card that I would put in there?

Am I thinking this right?

2. angusmcfisher macrumors member

Hi

I'm from the UK too. You're best listing it on eBay or Gumtree, as you will get a better price for it there than at CEX or Game etc, but yes it will be listed at locked to EE.

As for your end, your sim will work perfectly fine with the new phone provided that it is unlocked or locked to EE. If this is the case then it'll work totally as expected.

Hope this helps

3. MisterBigMack thread starter macrumors member

helps fantastically mate

thanks very much, so as long as I get an EE locked 5c or 5s or if its simple unlocked, i can put my sim card in there and carry on my contact until next september and then hypothetically "upgrade" or even just keep it for pay as you go

4. angusmcfisher macrumors member

Yep, precisely. Your best bet too since we're talking about money problems - once your contract has ended and if you can afford the initial outlay is to get a SIM-only deal and get the phone separately. You save a lot more money that way.

For instance, I'm paying £15 on Three for unlimited everything = £360 a year
    But that's with end of contract bartering - the package is £27 new = £648
    iPhone 6S = £539
    Total = £1187

Whereas if you buy it on contract, that adds up to £1593 - so you're paying £400 extra.

5. MisterBigMack thread starter macrumors member

When you say a sim only deal, you mean like pay and go? I'm currently with EE and I'm happy with them, so I'm presuming EE do a similar sort of deal i'm hoping.

Thanks for your help, hopefully by next September we are straighten out better with money so hopefully by contact end I could eventually get an iPhone 7 when they most likely will be released...but ill keep my options open

Thanks again pal

6. angusmcfisher macrumors member