Question about downloads.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by McDrunken, Jul 27, 2009.

1. McDrunken macrumors newbie

I recently got a new (well, refurbished) white macbook and I am really liking it. I have had zero problems, it came in immaculate shape, and I got pretty used to OS X the first day.

But, one thing just started to annoy me today. I keep downloading a somewhat large 791MB file, and if I shut the lid of the computer, when I come back the download resets and starts all over again. I'm not sure if maybe AirPort turns off when you shut the laptop, if its some sort of sleep mode thing, I don't know.

I am using a 2.0 Ghz, 2 GB, 120GB w/ NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (early 2009) macbook and my browser is Safari 4.0.2.

Any help is appreciated. :)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It goes to sleep.

Download InsomniaX and you'll be able to keep it awake with the lid closed.

3. celticpride678

When you shut the lid, the computer goes to sleep. Sleep disconnects the AirPort to avoid issues and it also takes everything and stops it (so there would not be any issues with Sleep).
    If you would like to stop sleep, check out the application called: InsomniaX.
    However, this will disturb sleep and could possibly cause damage to the laptop due to heating issues.

4. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Depending on what rogram your using to download, shutting the lid may cause it to restart completely. Although every program will cause the download to pause for sure when the lid is closed.

5. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Some servers do not seem to support download resuming in safari. Most will.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Speed Download solves this problem. (The starting/stopping)