Question about dual-display with HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Relznuk, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Hello.

I am running a non-mirrored dual-display setup on my 15" Macbook Pro (snow leopard) for the 1st time, and am trying to figure out how to do the following. Currently, I just can't get it to work.

I'd like to run my normal apps, such as Firefox, etc. on my built-in display with the menu bar and dock. I'd also like, at the same time, to be able to run full-screen iTunes, VLC or DVD player on the HDTV, and be able to switch to my built-in display without disrupting the viewing on the full-screen video on the HDTV via iTunes, VLC, etc.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks.

2. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

How are you connecting to the HDTV? HDMI, VGA, DVI? What is disrupting the viewing on the HDTV? You aren't switching spaces while doing this, are you?

Have you at least begun by going into System Preferences > Displays, un-checking Mirror Displays, dragging the menu bar onto your built-in display and opening iTunes or VLC on the HDTV and invoking its full screen display option? You should then be able to move your mouse back to the built in screen and not affect what is running on the HDTV screen. I have this working to a regular 30" ACD, although the machine is still on Leopard.

edit: I see you have already mentioned that you have set it up non-mirrored.

3. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

I am connecting via my Macbook Pro's DVI port and a DVI - HDMI adapter, with an HDMI cable in the back of the HDTV.

Do you mean invoking the display's full screen display option, or iTunes' full screen display option? If you meant the latter, then I have tried it and it doesn't work. I can open iTunes on the HDTV, but when I invoke the full screen option, it shows up on both of my displays rather than just one.

What am I doing wrong? I am doing exactly what you suggest, but when I maximize the program to full screen, it messes me up.

4. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

What do you mean by this? I have been opening the app, and then dragging it to the HDTV. Is this not correct? I have the dock on my built-in display, where I like it to stay. I wish I could have a dock on each display..

5. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

No, that should be correct. And if it is still on the HDTV when you close it, it should remember and reopen there again. Unfortunately you can only have a dock and menu bar on one of your monitors, but you can choose either one.

When iTunes fullscreen is on both monitors, is it mirrored or is a single window spanning both of the monitors? I know its not as good, but can you resize the iTunes window to cover as much of the HDTV as possible without using the Fullscreen mode? Maybe going fullscreen makes OS X try to change the HDTV into a different resolution that confuses your Mac into switching to mirrored mode. I've only ever used a Macbook Pro with an external Cinema Display or a mini with just a HDTV. Next time I bring my MBP home I can try hooking it up to the HDTV and see what happens.