Question about DVDStudio Pro 4 + compressor 4

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nethfel, Mar 15, 2012.

1. nethfel macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just recently installed a new hard drive and a fresh copy of Lion so it's now time to install my video editing software. I've been thinking of taking this time to move into using FCPX, but I still need DVD Studio Pro (I need more advanced authoring and have no desire to buy a premiere package just for Encore).

I am also planning on getting compressor 4 at this point as well. I haven't purchased Compressor 4 yet and this is where my question is before I have a lot of heart ache.

I notice with my FCS3 install disc that it wants to install compressor if I install DVD Studio Pro. If I buy Compressor 4 does anyone know if I'll have to still also install Compressor 3.5 from FCS3 or will FCS3 installer allow me to deselect compressor? If I install DVD STudio Pro + Compressor 3.5 first, and then buy Compressor 4 from the app store, will compressor 4 overwrite 3.5 properly or will I end up with 2 versions of compressor on my system?

any info would be most appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

You will end up with two versions of Compressor, I just renamed the 3.5 version to "Compressor 3.5" and version 4 to "Compressor 4".
    [​IMG]

But you can't run the two versions at the same time:
    [​IMG]

And if you start 4 first and 3.5 after that, 4 will be closed after clicking QUIT in the above dialog.

3. nethfel thread starter macrumors newbie

You know if there's a way to later remove compressor 3.5 and the related qmaster (assuming I don't have issues with compressor 4) without affecting dvdstudio pro?

4. simsaladimbamba

I would just remove Compressor 3.5 and that's that. As of now, both Compressor versions work with DVDSP okay, though 3.5 sometimes keeps hanging on the last bit of the encode, though the resulting file is fine.

5. nethfel thread starter macrumors newbie

I've actually never had a problem in the past with Compressor 3.5 - but this was under Snow Leopard and using ProRES 422 output from FCP7, I haven't attempted to use FCP7 or Compressor 3.5 under Lion yet (both of my edit machines have been running SL and I'm upgrading just one to see how it works out)

6. simsaladimbamba

I haven't used Lion in a production environment yet, and probably never will, thus I can't tell, if it works without hiccups or not.