Question about email on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ovenall, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Ovenall macrumors member

I'm considering buying my father an iPad.

Can you use a basic free email account like a hotmail or yahoo address on the iPad email application, or would you need to access those via Safari?

If not, what kind of email account would I need to set up for him? He'll be fine with a brand new address, but I want him to be able to simply use the iPad email app.

Thanks.

2. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Free email accounts are no problem to setup and use with Apple's Mail app. I use Yahoo myself.

3. Ovenall thread starter macrumors member

I just want to be sure, as I'm pretty certain you can't use a free hotmail on the Mac OSX email program. Can anyone else verify this? Thanks again.

4. iLucas macrumors 6502

Setup is very simple. Click one of the ones below and its as easy as that.

[​IMG]

5. Ovenall thread starter macrumors member

That's great! Can you have multiple accounts?

6. iLucas macrumors 6502

Yes. I have 3 e-mail accounts on my iPad and you can choose to access all inboxes at the same time or each individual.

7. Ovenall thread starter macrumors member

8. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Why do I get the feeling that I'm just wasting my time trying to help?

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can setup mail on iOS to receive hotmail without an issue

10. Kupp macrumors regular

I do yahoo, as well as accessing my school email through an imap server, it all works great.

Although I do prefer reading email on the iPhone, certain features about how it always shows an email just annoy me, but I got used to the iPhone setup first so that could be why.

11. Cole JM macrumors regular

I have about 6 accounts, dont ask why.

12. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I would use Gmail. It supports Exchange-like pushing and has the most mature web interface in my opinion. To setup one "the best way", choose Microsoft Exchange from the account type (don't pick Gmail).

Enter the email address as the username, and the chosen password. Leave domain blank. Click next, and then a box will appear for server. Enter m.google.com. Then you're all set. It will sync contacts too in case the phone is ever wiped and there isn't a backup available. See a thread I answered HERE for a tweak for the phone to do contacts on Gmail by default.

13. cheeryble macrumors regular

It doesn't seem to be possible to open links in mail except to Safari which I loathe mostly because it won't open in tabs leaving the awful alternative of pages which have to re-open (ie get lost) every time you go to them from another page or app you may be using.
    Tell me it ain't so?