Question about Empire: Total War

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by LKV11G, Mar 16, 2009.

1. LKV11G macrumors newbie

I was looking at it in the store today because I was considering buying it. On the back it says that an Intel chip is required. I have a 3.06, 24 inch iMac on the way. My question is can I run the game on the Mac OSX or do I have to use windows. I've been a Mac user since 2003 and I have no desire to run windows on such a nice computer. Can anyone help me out?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

It is Windows only.

3. LKV11G thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, can anyone recommend a good strategy game that I don't have to run in Windows?

4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Starcraft or Starcraft II when it comes out (but it could be next year).

5. Keleko macrumors 68000

Civ 4 has a Mac version, and it is an excellent game. The first expansion is also available, but the 2nd is Windows only. However, I play Civ 4 with both expansions in Crossover Games, and I bought the game with Steam.

Also, I know Rome: Total War seems to work in Crossover Games, too. I don't have Medieval 2: Total War, so I can't tell if that works in Crossover Games. That's not really the same as Mac native, but at least I don't have to boot to Windows to play.

6. Adamosaur macrumors newbie

Rise of Nations Gold is a great game.

And Rise of Nations campaign is more the style of Total War, with a huge risklike map, etc. :/

Rome: Total War has been ported, well here?

If you are just going for strategy games like starcraft ones, then Age of Empires or Civ, (AoEII is my fav of the series), though Rise of Nations Gold is a combination of both. You also have many more empires, and it expands from ancient times to the information age, from sticks and stones to atomic bombs and stealth bombers. If you are just going for the pre-industrial genre then AoE or Civ, though check out RoN :) I have it and it runs well on tiger and leopard, especially for it's past release.

7. Zortrium macrumors 6502

FYI, the second expansion is coming to the Mac and should be completed pretty soon.

8. Keleko macrumors 68000

Yes, I've seen that they're finally making it available.

9. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

10. happydudeca macrumors member

For $100 you can get a copy of XP and throw Windows on your Mac, and play ETW. Now that most of the bugs are fixed it's a fun game.

Alternatively, Imperial Glory looks kind of similar.
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/TF554LL/A?fnode=MjQzNDcwNg&mco=NDY3NzMwNg

Rise of Nations is also a great game, but the gameplay is more like Age of Empires then a focus on combat strategy.