Question about Energy Savings.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crazichik, Sep 2, 2011.

1. crazichik macrumors newbie

Noob question. I was just wondering if its ok to leave the "Automatic Graphics Switching" box, always unchecked. Besides using more battery, does it do any harm to the computer???

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If it's an option that Apple has provided in their software, you can be confident that it won't harm your computer.

3. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

In addition to SandboxGeneral's comment, I would recommend gfxCardStatus if you really want to make it a little more configurable, since I imagine that you always want it in high performance mode. NO, it will do no harm to have it in that mode or by using this app, but it will drain your battery considerably having it in high performance mode constantly.

Like I said in another thread, it's a little app that sits up in your menu bar that allows you to switch between discrete, integrated, and automatic switching, and tells you what mode it's in when it's Automatic (and I believe it also tells you which processes are dependent on the discrete graphics when it's on). Much more clearer than Apple's default option, IMO.