Question about External Burner

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bubblepuffer, Dec 28, 2008.

1. bubblepuffer macrumors newbie

Hi, I am new to MAC, just 2nd day learning MAC. I am interest of getting Samsung SE-S224Q External DVD-Burner. Will it work on an IMAC?

Thank you,

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The iMac already has a built-in DVD burner which should suit your needs unless you're looking for something that supports LightScribe technology or has a faster burn speed.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Do some of the older iMacs come with combo drives instead of Superdrives?

I checked the user manual for this burner, and it says it's for Wintel machines...caveat emptor.

4. bubblepuffer thread starter macrumors newbie

yup, but it is too slow and also not working with smaller DVD which wont work with any slot drive.

5. bubblepuffer thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I am the Guinea Pig

Well good news. I went out and bought the drive.. at least if didn't work I can use a faster drive for my Toshiba Laptop.

Luckily it is only $70 and it work great on the IMAC. Tested with DVD playback and burned DVD disc.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

That is true but that is too commonly the case with external burners where the software (in this case a copy of a lite version of Nero and the Lightscribe software) is provided for Windows only. :(

The drives themselves are pretty universal and will normally work fine with Macs, but not the provided software if that is important. Some drives do included versions of software for both Win and Mac with them although in most cases the included software is more of an afterthought (usually limited edition/lite versions of programs) when compared to full featured software like Toast and other packages for Macs.

7. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Yes all external dvd drives should work. Preferably fire wire.
    I have several from OWC that I put together my self.

Having a good external drive will save wear and tear on your macs internal drive. Which are usually hard and or expensive to replace.