question about external DVD burner for macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iceblade, Jul 3, 2008.

1. iceblade macrumors member

I'm trying to decide what computer, and I was thinking base macbook (install 2x2gig ram myself) but it only has a combo drive, and I might need to burn a DVD for a speaking competition, plus maybe some video work with some friends. I can't afford, and wouldn't ask my parents to afford, the extra $200 for a superdrive in the macbook if there is another option. I know that I get a processor, RAM and hard drive boost in the deal, but I have explained the RAM, I plan on getting an external hard drive, and the processor boost isn't worth the money to me. So, finally to my question, I guess: Can I get an external superdrive for 'inexpensive' (inexpensive as apple products go, at least.) or will just a regular external DVD burner work ok? I don't know why it wouldn't work, but I'd rather check with someone that knows (and save the gas of driving to the Apple store) better then just assume. I'd rather just get the more expensive computer now and not be regretting not getting it for 3+ years, but again, I don't want to spend the money if there is another option I can use for cheaper/when I need it.

Something that came to mind while writing this post is this: Does anyone know if Apple employees get any kind of reward or commission off the computers they sell? I mean, besides maybe having a sales person of the month award or something.

Thanks everyone so much. Sorry it was long and maybe confusing. I write confusingly I think, so if I need to rewrite it and explain my situation better, I'll give it a shot. Thanks again!

2. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Well, Apple only makes an external SuperDrive for the MacBook Air, and it will not work with any other computer without some hacking (it requires a higher level of USB power to run that no other computers can provide). I do not see why an external drive will not work with the Mac, as it should not have any problems. I am even considering getting one for my iMac so I can rip 2 DVDs at once.

However, if I were in your position, I would save the money from your RAM upgrade, hard drive, and external drive and put it towards the $200 upgrade cost as it will allow this MacBook to last you longer while giving you the internal SuperDrive and probably won't cost much more than the RAM and drives combined.(And you will notice the extra processing power when working with videos as you said in your post and it's just a pain to have to carry one more thing around)

3. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I put a $60 Pioneer burner on my Core 2 Duo Mac Mini. It works fine. The only problem is after burning I have to right-click the disc to eject it (opposed to using the eject button on my KB). It will work on the MB too.