Question About External USB 3.0 boot drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mcdevidr, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have had a couple crashes here and there where the screen just freezes or won't come back up after the display has fallen asleep. I am booting off a USB 3 drive that is a samsung 840 pro SSD plugged into a dock. I wonder if anyone here knows if having the energy settings to put hard drives to sleep when available can cause issues with booting from an external drive? And are there any other issues I should know about with booting from an external drive? So far when everything is up and running the system is great and fast. It is a 2013 iMac 27 inch i5 3.4.

2. xArtx macrumors 6502a

Hi,
    The chip providing the port for the drive could be dodgy.
    The controllers inside the USB docks aren't all the same I mean.
    In particular, I'd stay away from Jmicron, but unless there's information
    visible in some driver settings, you really can't tell until you pull the dock apart.

3. Mcdevidr thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm using a plugable usb3 dock. I had just installed a bunch of apps and then steam crashed for some reason so I'm wondering if any of that was related the machine has been up and running four days prior to that. I'll just keep an eye on it I suppose.

4. andydajo macrumors newbie

I've just had the same trouble booting through USB 3.0 and screen freezes but having disabled the hard drive sleep function in Energy Saver it runs a dream. I would however like to keep the energy saver working on the hard drive inside my iMac. Any ideas?