Question about fans and where to place laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Helljumper, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Helljumper macrumors member

I keep hearing about how laptops overheat much more quickly when they're placed on a bed instead of a desk. I'm guessing this is because the blanket/cover of the bed will cover up the fans because it's soft.

My issue is that I don't have a desk in my bedroom and I don't want to have to go to another part of the house to use my laptop.

I'm wondering whether or not it would be a good idea to place my laptop on top of a hardcover book or cardboard box or some other solid object and than use that on my bed. It seems to me that would solve the problem of having the fans covered up but I'm wondering if it might create more problems since the material of the book/box might cause the laptop to heat up faster than usual.

BTW, even on my bed, my MBP doesn't heat up TOO much but I really want to take good care of this and ensure it has a long lifespan so I don't want to unnecessarily put it through higher than normal temperatures. Right now, I'm using Firefox and listening to music on Itunes and IStat is giving me a reading of 51 degrees (I'm assuming celsius) on the CPU and 46 degrees on Heatsink B

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

All you need is for the air vents to not be blocked when using it. Doesn't matter where you use it, as long as the vents are clear.

3. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

For the last two years I've been using an Xpad whenever I'm using my laptop anywhere other than on the desk. If I didn't know better I'd think that Apple created the design, it's so clean, simple and functional. At just 1/2" thick it fits anywhere easily, and keeps my Mac cool by simply insuring it has space under it for airflow. The only thing wrong with it, is I didn't think this one up...:)

http://www.xpad4laptop.com/

4. apple.gr macrumors regular

You will not have any problem!!! Place it wherever you want because the fans are not in the bottom but between the unibody and the screen!

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Also, make sure what you prop it on is wide enough to allow the machine to stand up on all 4 feet, rather than reseting the aluminum base on the object directly. You want to have airflow underneath as well as keeping the hinge-vent clear.