Question about FCP license

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Luis Ortega, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

About 2 years ago, I bought a copy of FCP Studio 2 from a co-worker for a good price.
    It came with all the disks and several manuals and it installed perfectly.

Now I would like to upgrade to FCP Studio 3, but I am not sure if the software that I bought was a retail version or an educational version. The person I bought it from has since moved and I can't ask him.

I checked all of the disks and manuals but they make no mention of it being an educational version, and the intro screen doesn't say educational version when I start FCP, unlike the Adobe educational software that clearly says education on the startup screen. The little box that contains all of the install disks does say the word "retail" on the version information sticker that is on the box.

I called Apple but they were not very helpful and couldn't tell me if the serial number was an educational version or not.

Is there some way to find out which type of software I have before actually buying the upgrade version and then discovering that the version I have doesn't qualify for the upgrade version?

Thanks for any advice.

2. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Did the person who sold it to you gave you the whole box with ALL of the manuals and training guides? Your serial slip should say what it is, either Retail or Academic.

3. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did not get the big box. I got a set of install disks in a small box and about 5 substantial books.
    The install disks box has a little sticker on it that says FCP version 2. retail.
    The disks themselves don't say anything one way of the other.
    The serial number that comes up in the about FCP box starts with the letter E.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Many apps (most?) typically have educational on the opening splash screen somewhere. I would think FCP does the same.

The easiest and most surest way is to contact apple, provide the serial number and they'll be able to tell you.

5. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I did first and they could not tell me. They suggested that I contact the vendor and ask them, but in my case the vendor was not a store.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

apple couldn't tell you if their product was educational or consumer? Wow that's really lame.