Question about FCS Crossgrade/Academic

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LarryBoy, May 7, 2007.

1. LarryBoy macrumors newbie

I know this has been addressed before, but I haven't gotten a definitive answer.

I'm a college student (soon to graduate), and I had the Academic version of the Production Suite. I did the Crossgrade to 5.1 almost immediately last year, hoping that maybe I could get out of the academic umbrella.

I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not this is is possible. Some people didn't get new serial numbers, etc.

I got a new serial number with my discs that reads "Final Cut Studio 5.1 Retail." When I open the apps, it does not throw "Academic" at the end on the intro screen.

I need to know whether or not I truly have a retail version, because I would like to do a normal upgrade to FCS 2 in the very near future. I would hate to get that and then find out that it won't install on my computer (I probably couldn't send it back at that point, could I?).

Help, please!

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

How did you get a new serial with your crossgrade discs? I don't know anyone else who got new serial numbers. But it does indeed seem that you have a retail version now though.

3. LarryBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

I really don't know how I got a new serial number. It seems that I remember something about those that went from 5.0 to 5.1 didn't get new serial numbers, and those that went from 4.5 to 5.1 did. I can't confirm that, though.

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

That makes sense. So yeah, sounds like you got retail copies. Lucky you.

5. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

The crossgrade to the intel binaries came with a retail license, so your good to go.