Question about File Permissions

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by .AJ, Feb 13, 2012.

1. .AJ macrumors newbie

Hi,

The other day I was having a look around my Mac (relatively new Mac user) and found in the 'Get Info' window under the 'Sharing & Permissions' section, that my user account is the only account that can Read & Write files created by me.

Below is a screenshot of the default file permissions for my user account in Lion. All files that I create on my Mac have these settings.

Finder - Get Info.png

Basically, what I would like to know is how do file permissions work. So for example if I create a TextEdit file (like in the screenshot) and my account is the only account that has permissions to Read & Write, what happens if I email the file to someone? Will they get an error message of some sort when they try to edit it?

I have some files stored on a backup HDD (with these permission settings), If I reinstalled Lion and manually moved my files back from my backup HDD would this cause issues because my original user account is not longer there? Hope that makes sense.

I am just trying to understand how the permissions work, so I hope some of you can explain.

AJ

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. Those permissions only relate to your Mac. They do not affect other computers.
    If you move files from a backup to your Mac, you would have the ability to change the permissions to whatever you choose.

Understanding File System Permissions | Mac OS X Support Essentials: File Systems | Peachpit
    Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Setting permissions
    Troubleshooting permissions issues in Mac OS X

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

When you email a file to someone, the permissions don't carry over with that file. Permissions are local, on your machine. If you copy over a local network to another machine, the permissions usually transfer to whatever user account you used to authenticate over the network. For the most part, you can safely assume that permissions will not affect anything you're going to do with the files.

In the case of your hypothetical scenario, you may have some trouble if you don't create a new account with the same name on the newly reinstalled system, but that can be remedied by changing the settings in the window you posted. You can also Get Info on the drive and check the box for "Ignore Ownership on this volume" to avoid any problems (although this does not work if you use the drive for Time Machine backups). Time Machine will work around these issues for files stored in it's backups.

jW

4. .AJ, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

.AJ thread starter macrumors newbie

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you shouldn't have any problems with that..

6. .AJ, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

.AJ thread starter macrumors newbie

I found this information in the link GGJstudios posted, which clarifies my issue.

I thought I would post it up just in case anybody should have similar queries in future.

Again, thanks for your help. :)

AJ