Question about Firefox on the Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ctt1wbw, Jan 8, 2011.

1. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

After using Firefox and many others on the Mac, it's now my default browser. It's the only browser that's in the dock, actually. But I have a complaint about it.

On a MacBook, the screen isn't wide enough for all of my bookmarks to show up in the bookmarks bar. The "bookmarks" menu in the bookmarks bar is hiding the last bookmark I have. How do I get rid of that? The top menu already has a bookmarks pull down menu.

2. Squadleader macrumors regular

Cant you drag to the trash...or right click delete..??

3. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Everything on the left of the tool bar is gone on my machines. I'm already 'started' so I don't need that for an example.. You can also shorten the names of the bookmarks on the toolbar as well. To delete, right click and select 'delete', to shorten the name right click on the name and select 'properties' and then change the 'name' field. Some of the default names for the bookmarks are way to long and just eat up the space quickly.

4. Gregg2, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

Gregg2 macrumors 603

Looking at your post . . . looking at Firefox > Organize Bookmarks page.

Huh?

Wait, I get it!
    View > Toolbars > Customize...
    Drag the "offender" from the tool bar to the Customize drop-down area. It will go away. I tried dragging it off the window, but that didn't do it.

Not wide enough...(This wasn't it either, but I'll leave it as "bonus information" for others browsing through.)
    Move your cursor to the header (Name, Tags, Location)
    When it changes to a heavy vertical line with <- -> arrows, click and adjust the widths of the columns. You can make the Sidebar narrower as well.

5. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

You could rename your bookmarks, maybe use a symbol instead of name, smaller names = more space :)

6. ctt1wbw thread starter macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I've tried everything, even the view toolbar settings but that doesn't work either. As soon as I try to edit the toolbar settings, that bookmarks menu go away and you can't edit it.

I've already renamed my bookmarks and still doesn't make up enough room. :)

7. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Buy a seccond screen. No seriously have yiu tried to use folders?

8. ctt1wbw thread starter macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Well, I'd like to get a 17" MacBook Pro, but I'm having problems squeezing the dough out. I'll try folders, that's a good idea.

9. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

10. ctt1wbw thread starter macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Chrome still has that bookmark thing in the bookmarks toolbar. I don't know how to get rid of that one either.

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It's amazing on every thread about a browser that isn't Google Chrome, someone always posts about the possibility of the OP switching to Chrome.

Basically, in other words, this thread isn't about your beloved Chrome. Stop posting unrelated stuff that doesn't help.

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You mean this didn't work?

13. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Could you post a screenshot, I've been using Firefox for years and I don't have a "bookmarks" menu in the Bookmarks Toolbar?

14. ctt1wbw thread starter macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Here's a pic of the toolbar. The bookmarks thing all the way on the right is what I can't get rid of, no matter what I try.

Attached Files:

15. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Looks quite a bit different than my Firefox 3.6.13, is that a Firefox 4 beta? Can you go to Bookmarks, Organize Bookmarks..., then expand the entry for Bookmarks Toolbar, is there a entry there for the Bookmarks folder that's showing in your screenshot? Can you remove it there?

16. LukeWorm, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

LukeWorm macrumors newbie

LukeWorm

You could try View - Toolbars - Customize and then drag the annoying icon from the toolbar to this "toolbox".

Edit: apologies, this was proposed already earlier. But this is the way I removed that icon, on Firefox 3.6

17. ctt1wbw thread starter macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Yeah, it's the beta Firefox. And I've tried doing the edit bookmarks thing and everything else I can think of.

18. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

How about Control clicking on the entry and selecting Delete from the pop down menu?

19. Darth.Titan, Jan 9, 2011

Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I've figured out how to get rid of the Bookmarks folder on the bookmarks toolbar in Firefox 4 beta:
    • Right (or Control) -click the offending folder and select "Customize..."
    • Yes, the Bookmark Toolbar "goes away," but if you look, you'll see that the Bookmarks folder scoots up to the right of the Feedback button. It also loses its text label. (That may be why you didn't notice it.)
    • Drag the Bookmarks button down to the "Customize" dialog, and it will be removed.
    You can also remove the Feedback button this way as well.

Edit: I semi-recreated your bookmarks bar and took a shot to show it can be done.

Attached Files:

20. ctt1wbw thread starter macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Holy crap, that was so much more difficult than it had to be! Thanks! I kept seeing that icon when I tried to customize, but I kept asking myself what the **** is that??!! I tried dragging it out of the toolbar area but it wouldn't go away. I guess I had to drag into the customize screen.

Wow. Now that's what I call user UNfriendly! LOL :)

21. ctt1wbw thread starter macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Okay, my next challenge is trying to get an Exchange account onto Thunderbird. Not figured that one out yet.

22. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Is that really different from this:
    (Post #4)

23. Darth.Titan, Jan 9, 2011

Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Yes it is actually, considering the offending folder relocates and changes appearance when selecting "Customize". It looks like it disappears and cannot be removed from that dialog. I merely specified where the OP could find what he wanted to remove.

For the record, your post was entirely correct, it just lacked the specific details that helped the OP find what he was looking for. Sorry if you feel I stepped on your toes.

24. ctt1wbw thread starter macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I am noticing that in the Firefox 4 betas, no matter how many times you try to erase the "feedback" button, it comes back after relaunch.

25. dyn macrumors 68030

Until you relaunch Firefox... The feedback button is a Firefox extension. You'll find it quite easily in the add-ons screen (or tab since it is now opened in a new tab). Simply disable or remove the extension and you're done :)