Question about Firewall in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kristoffer4, Sep 8, 2008.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Because the remote App on the iphone will only work with my mac if the Firewall is set to "allow all incoming connections" but is this safe? :confused:
    Is the firewall even on at this setting?

2. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

3. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

4. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Personally, I don't like and don't use option "Allow all incoming connections". You can always use Little Snitch as an addition to built-in firewall. Have you tried it?

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

The best setting for the built in firewall is "set access for specific applications". Click the + and add whatever application is related to the iphone to the list(itunes?).

The least secure setting is "allow all incoming connections"
    The most secure setting is "allow only essential services" (middle one)
    The most flexible setting is "set access for specific applications"

I'm also running little snitch right now, but I'm fairly certain it will block me when I'm away from home and want to use "back to my mac". I have not registered little snitch but I'm thinking about it. The built in firewall is focused on keeping out incoming connections. Little snitch is focused on keeping software on your machine from going out on the net and sending out information behind your back. Little Snitch reminds me of Zonealarm on the pc.

Running OS X behind a router with "allow all incoming connections" is no big deal. Running OS X in a free wifi hotspot with that setting is not a good idea.

6. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Chossing the "Set access..." mode for the firewall allows Remote on my iPhone to access iTunes just fine. Perhaps you need to set the firewall to this and allow access for iTunes.

7. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4