Question about Firewire 400/800

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Andrew Henry, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I actually just bought my first two Firewire devices, 2 x 500gb My Book Studio external hard drives.

My question is they are Firewire 400/800 and I plan to connect one of them to the back of my monitor using a Firewire 800 to 400 cable, can I "daisy chain" the other 500gb using the second Firewire 800 port on the first harddrive?

And if that's how it works, to get the fastest speed, it'd probably be better for me to hook the first hard drive into the Fire 800 port on the MBP , then connect the second hard drive to the first?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I haven't used many Firewire devices, mostly USB.

Thanks a lot,
    Andrew

2. ddoonie macrumors regular

Yes it is daisy chaining, and from my experience that is the best way. FW800 to your MBP, and then connect harddrive #2 to the first via FW800.

3. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

if u have the drives, why don't u test it out

4. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because..

1. I don't have the drives, they'll get delivered in 4 days

2. I'm still in Iraq, but on my way home, so I wanted the info before I got there, better to be informed beforehand :)

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

You should be good with the 800 daisy chain. Those should be some speedy devils.

Good luck, and welcome home.

6. urchinboy macrumors member

I've got three of these drives daisy chained that I use with my macbook pro and they are plenty fast enough for editing DV and photoshop stuff. Only annoying thing is the time they can take to spin up again after they weren't accessed for a bit, but that's the same whether daisy chained or not.

I now run a thing called 'Diskomania' that keeps them up to speed all the time. Handy during an edit I think.