Question about firmware updates

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by servo1013, Dec 18, 2008.

1. servo1013 macrumors newbie

This may be a silly question, but I'm new to macs so here we go...

I bought a unibody 2.4Ghz macbook two weeks ago and noticed after a few hours of use that it had a large cluster of dead pixels. I downloaded all the updates (including firmware updates for trackpad, etc) over the past week and then today I took it to an Apple store to have the dead pixels looked at. They decided to swap my old macbook for a new one and they took my old harddrive and put it into the new macbook. My question is... now that I have all new hardware (expect for the harddrive), do I need to reinstall all of the firmware updates? Don't the firmware updates alter the embedded software in the hardware itself? Running "Software Update" on the new macbook shows a list of the updates I downloaded on the old macbook and tells me that I don't need to download anything new. But it seems to me, if I have new all hardware, then I would have to reinstall firmware updates. Sorry if my question is unclear...

Thanks for your help!

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

You most likely need to update it. Since I don't think apple did the firmware on a brand new machine or another updates.