Question about Flash on PPC

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
So I've been thinking of getting my mom a newer PC. My choices are upgrading hers or maybe buying a used Mac.

She doesn't do anything too exciting on them but she has been playing games on Facebook, which I believe are in Flash.

Would she have any issues using a PPC Mac? I'd hate to snag up a Mac Mini on Craigslist for $100 and find out she's not able to play them.

My best bet is to just upgrade her current PC. I think I priced out CPU/Motherboard/RAM/Power Supply for less than $300.

Ricky Smith

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2006
Boston, MA
Don't give someone a PPC unless you hate them or they're a collector. They're great for non-flash basic web browsing and word processing or listening to music. But once you get flash or any videos involved forget about it

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
I agree with the above posters. Unless you're buying a dual/quad PowerMac G5, flash video is going to be lacking significantly. Don't get me wrong, I love PowerPC Macintoshes, but it's not a good idea to give a vintage Macintosh to someone who doesn't understand how to deal with or circumvent its limitations.

kevin242

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2006
So I've been thinking of getting my mom a newer PC. My choices are upgrading hers or maybe buying a used Mac.

She doesn't do anything too exciting on them but she has been playing games on Facebook, which I believe are in Flash.

Would she have any issues using a PPC Mac? I'd hate to snag up a Mac Mini on Craigslist for $100 and find out she's not able to play them.

My best bet is to just upgrade her current PC. I think I priced out CPU/Motherboard/RAM/Power Supply for less than $300.

there are a few ways to get around the Power Pc's flash limitations when watching videos, but you can forget about online gaming on Facebook. it will work but will be painfully slow.

Last edited: