Question about Flash on PPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by davidg4781, May 31, 2012.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

So I've been thinking of getting my mom a newer PC. My choices are upgrading hers or maybe buying a used Mac.

She doesn't do anything too exciting on them but she has been playing games on Facebook, which I believe are in Flash.

Would she have any issues using a PPC Mac? I'd hate to snag up a Mac Mini on Craigslist for $100 and find out she's not able to play them.

My best bet is to just upgrade her current PC. I think I priced out CPU/Motherboard/RAM/Power Supply for less than $300.

2. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Get her the least expensive Intel Mac you can find. Flash/YouTube videos barely hobble along on a PPC Mac.

3. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

Don't give someone a PPC unless you hate them or they're a collector. They're great for non-flash basic web browsing and word processing or listening to music. But once you get flash or any videos involved forget about it

4. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I agree with the above posters. Unless you're buying a dual/quad PowerMac G5, flash video is going to be lacking significantly. Don't get me wrong, I love PowerPC Macintoshes, but it's not a good idea to give a vintage Macintosh to someone who doesn't understand how to deal with or circumvent its limitations.

5. kevin242, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

kevin242 macrumors member

there are a few ways to get around the Power Pc's flash limitations when watching videos, but you can forget about online gaming on Facebook. it will work but will be painfully slow.