question about font management with a designated SSD boot drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nhood01, Sep 3, 2011.

1. nhood01 macrumors member

Hi,

I'm running my operating system and applications only from a 60GB SSD drive. I have a second, 1TB HD to use for everything else so my boot drive can run uninhibited and fast.

When it comes to installing a large font library, should my fonts dwell on my SSD boot drive or the 1TB HD? How much space will a large font library take up?

I have another question that is separate.

I've relinked my user folders off of my boot drive. I noticed that all the user folders relinked to my other HD except the library folder. It still resides on my boot drive. Do you know why this is?

Any help would be much obliged for.

-nick

2. Quad5Ny, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Fonts are usually small (about 1-15MB) and they install to; /Library/Fonts/ & ~/Library/Fonts/.

I would leave them on your SSD for speedy access. If you do feel the need to move them, only move your user fonts folder. Do not link the one in /Library/.

If you open up "Font Book" there is a option to have it install new fonts in your user folder. Assuming you already moved and symbolic linked your user folder to your 1TB, there is nothing extra to do because the user font folder is already in there.

----------

Relocating your Home folder

Note that after doing this, you still need to create a symbolic link pointing to the moved folder for Apps that don't respect the change.