Question about formatting OSX.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hexero, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Hexero macrumors regular

Hi guys! I'm reverting back to 10.6.3, because I've had so many problems with 10.6.4 so far, too se if it gets better. But I'm not so sure about one thing, if I put in the OSX Install-CD, start to format, will I loose all my programs, games + bootcamp? I'm not worried about preferences or something, and I don't have any important documents. I'm not having any external drive available either. So can I format my OSX and still have my games, programs, AND bootcamp there?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can keep Boot Camp, as it resides on another partition, but formatting the Mac OS X partition will delete all data on it, so nothing is left.
    Maybe make a backup of your Applications folder and the Library folder or even make a clone and use Migration Assistant to copy them back later.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can do "upgrade" install i.e. just install Snow Leopard normally as it is its default way of install. It'll keep all your files. Then don't update to 10.6.4

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

then download this :D

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But wasn't Mac OS X 10.6 (strangely Mac OS ten ten six) able to keep the update during those "upgrade" installs?

I once used the SL DVD (29 USD, bought on the day of release) to re-install my OS, and it kept the version I updated to, so I still had 10.6.2 or 10.6.3.

In other words, a downgrade only seems possible via "Erase & Install", doesn't it?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not sure about that. It's worth it to give it a shout because external HD is another +50$ and that may even fix OP's issues

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

now thats a good question. when i did it way back in 10.5 i thought it went right back to the beginning.. that was a while ago and my memory is vague

8. Hexero thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everybody for good answers!
    So there is a way when formatting to choose "upgrade" just like on windows?
    So if I put in the install CD and choose "upgrade install", my OS will go back to 10.6.3 and my applications and games will still be there?

Thanks again everybody!

9. AuricBlue macrumors newbie

What you probably want to do is use the "Archive and Install" feature. Boot from the Snow Leopard CD and when the installer gets to the part when the "Options" button appears, click it and choose "Archive and Install". Then proceed with the installation.

What this will do is downgrade you to whatever version on the SL DVD you have (probably 10.6.0 or 10.6.1) and it will keep any installed apps and user accounts and preferences. The old 10.6.4 system files will go into an Previous Systems folder on your hard disk (I think that's what it's called.) when you are satisfied that your system is working like you want it, you can delete that folder.

Download and install 10.6.3 as mentioned in the previous posts. Good luck!

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS X doesn't have that feature anymore, although one can use Terminal for that.

http://theappleblog.com/2009/08/27/snow-leopard-the-installation-process/
    http://intlect.com/how-to-archive-and-install-os-x-snow-leopard/
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10330467-263.html
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ges_to_snow_leopard_installation_process.html

11. AuricBlue macrumors newbie

You are absolutely right! According to your first link, it will "Archive and Install" automatically over a newer version (and it doesn't leave a "Previous Systems" folder behind anymore).

So, to Hexero — You have 3 options:

1. Stay at 10.6.4 and try and make it better — Do some maintenance steps and see if that helps.
    2. Archive and Install — Keeps your Applications, Users, Documents, and Preferences, but you get a fresh OS install.
    3. Format and Install — Wipe your Mac's Hard Disk (you can keep Bootcamp) and reinstall a fresh OS X with no Applications, Users, Documents or Preferences saved.

Option 1 involves checking your hard disk for errors and for permissions problems (these have gotten more rare over the years but can still cause strange problems with OS upgrades.) Preferences file problems can cause system and application problems, so moving your preferences out of the preferences folder and to a folder on your desktop and rebooting can often cure strange problems (the preferences will be rebuilt). There are other things you can do as well.

Option 2 is probably the easiest if you just want to downgrade to 10.6.3. Just reboot with the Snow Leopard DVD (Insert the DVD, reboot the mac, then hold the C key until the Apple appears.) Follow the instructions to install the OS and when its done you will be at whatever version came on the CD. Then you can download the 10.6.3 updater from Apple if needed.

Option 3 only differs from option 2 in that once the installer has loaded and you get to the screen where you choose the disk to install on, choose "Disk Utility" from the "Utilities" menu. Once that loads, click your Mac HD on the left (not the icon that says XXX GB or TB, and not the Windows partition. If in doubt, when you have the correct one selected, it will say "Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" in the bottom of the window. If it doesn't have a line that says that then you have the wrong one selected.) Click Erase on the right, then Erase again. This will erase your files, apps, iTunes purchases, etc., so be sure! When it's done erasing, quit Disk Utility and proceed with the install. Download the 10.6.3 updater from Apple if needed.

Hope this helps! If you need any more explanation of the preceding, just post and I'll try and answer. If not, somone else surely will! (Hooray MacRumors!)

12. Hexero thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for a very good written post! Chose option 2 because I've tried option 1 already. Thank you so much for the awesome post!

Thanks to everybody else, too!

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Hexero, can you please report back, if option 2 got you back to Mac OS X 10.6.x<4? Because I'm still not sure, that option 2 will just reinstall Mac OS X and keep the 10.6.4 update.

I can't find an article though right now, thus I have no documentation other than my words and my experience and some vague memories from AI.

Found it, it's in the last article I linked to in my second post.

A reinstallation will not affect your Mac OS X version number. In other words, reinstallation of Mac OS X 10.6 on a Mac that contains Mac OS X 10.6.1 (when it becomes available) will not overwrite any new components delivered by 10.6.1. So when the re-install is complete, you will still be running Mac OS X 10.6.1. This will save users considerable time.

from http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ges_to_snow_leopard_installation_process.html