Question about free or commercial Developer program

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by tutiplain, Mar 3, 2011.

1. tutiplain macrumors member

Hi again everyone,

Where I am, there is no "App Store". That is, I can't just go to Apple's homepage and join the Developer program. Apple's site just doesn't recognize my address, so I had to join by sending a fax with my billing info to Apple. I joined the free app Developer program, but now it seems that I cannot change that to publish commercial apps (though, since I'm just a beginner, is a long way to go yet). Does that mean that I have to pay another $99 to join the commercial app Developer program?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you want to test apps on your own iOS device or publish them to the app store (free or paid for apps) you have to pay Apple $99. A year.

3. tutiplain thread starter macrumors member

Already joined

I understand that, and, I already paid my $99 to Apple for publishing and testing on my device (through a fax, as I mentioned earlier). But when I did, I asked to join the Free Apps Developer program, because I don't yet know enough Obj-C to create commercial apps. But now I find that my subscription is ONLY for free apps. It seems as, though, when I want to create commercial apps, I'll have to pay an EXTRA $99. I just want to know if this is so, or not.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

? If you paid $99 and can publish and test to your device you are in the paid developer program, not the free one and can submit apps to the App Store.

Where are you seeing a restriction that these must be free apps?

EDIT: Overview of the different programs is here. http://developer.apple.com/programs/which-program/ none of the $99 programs restrict you from publishing commercial apps as an individual.

B

5. tutiplain thread starter macrumors member

After I joined, they sent me an email to manage my program subscriptions. There, I can only see my "Free Apps Developer Program" subscription. But it provides a link to "Add Commercial App Developer Program" (those were not the exact words), so that's why I wonder. Note that I've only used the subscription to test on my iPod, not for publishing.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What are the exact words? Accuracy will really help us to understand your issue and provide better advice.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Screenshots if needed (remove personal info), and don't try to translate if the language isn't English.

B